28 Gallon Deep Blue Rimless SPS Reef

childress5tyler

Hello!

After ~3 years off from the hobby I have had an itching to get back in and start a new reef tank. I wanted to start this thread to organize my thoughts and to track my progress throughout the life of this reef. Now through May I will be organizing the startup and planning out the structure, etc. I will not be putting water into the tank until May because this is my anticipated move month, so I'd rather not start it up and have to tear it back down 5 months later. As mentioned in the title, the aquarium will be a 28 gallon Deep Blue rimless aquarium with a focus on SPS coral. My tentative plan is to have 12-14 4-6" colonies (3 acropora, 3 millepora, 2 encrusting montis, 2 plating montis, 1 staghorn, 1 stylopora, 1 montipora digitata, and pocillopora; I would like for the showpiece of the reef to be a nice 4-5" maxima clam. Regarding fish, currently I only plan to add two designer clowns (possibly onyx clowns). Below is a list of the equipment that I have either decided on or am debating:

- Light: AI Prime
- Sump: ICECAP 15
- Skimmer: Reef Octopus 110SSS
- Return Pump: Siche 1.5 (357 gph)
- Powerhead: 1x MP10 Vortech Pump
- Salt: Red Sea Coral Pro
- ATO: Tunze Nano Osmolator
- Dosing: B-Ionic Alk/Cal/Mag and Acropower via undecided autodoser.

I'm wanting my tank to be fairly clean and simple; not a ton of rock, but just enough to allow the coral to grow and cover, but also giving enough free space for them to grow. I've considered purchasing the dry, man-made rock and curing it in a friends tank over the next few months or spending the extra money to buy live, cured rock. Also, regarding aquascape, I'm considering a bare-bottom aquarium and allowing colonies to grow on the ground and alongside the walls/overflow to maximize space.

These are my thoughts regarding the reef so far, please feel free to comment on any suggestions, questions, or comments that you may have. I'm looking forward to this build and hope you get some enjoyment by following along

Back