40 Breeder DIY stand ideas

Waddleboy

Hey everyone!

So I have been out of the hobby for about a year. I had to move which led to me having to break down my 3 tanks, 20, 90, 150 gallon. On the move the 150 literally fell out the back up a pick up, the 90 gallon crashed during the move and then hada seam pop at the top. It's currently just filled with water and rock, and the 20 I just recently got back up and running. I've decided to downgrade to a 40 breeder and use the same equipment from my 90 gallon.

Now onto my dilemma. I used to have a fish closet that held all my fish goodies but since moving, my situation has changed I want to build a stand that can house all my equipment and most of everyday fish needs (net, supplements, refractometer, etc). So I'm looking into an oversized stand for it. I've been searching for ideas but really haven't found anything I fell in love with yet. My wood working skills are mediocre, but I'm always up for a challenge. I'm hoping people have done this before and can post some pics or links to different ideas. Doesn't have to be for a 40 just need some inspiration I can take and run with. Thanks for help and glad to be back :)

Some ideas I have come across:

Idea 1

Idea 2

Idea 3

I understand the space constraint, I had a 40g and I had to store nearly everything underneath it due to space constraints. For whatever reason I'm not able to view idea 1. The second option is very beautiful however if you are looking to maximize space I feel like the center section would be a waste unless you have some everyday "display" items that would look nice in there for show. The third option seems pretty standard with the exception of the side hutch which could be used for a chiller/ato reservoir. In any case if you go with a pre made stand there are always some simple internal diy additions/renovations that you could do. Like adding baskets to the doors or mounting equipment to the internal ceiling. Good luck.

It's going to be hard to store things underneath a 40breeder stand with it's footprint being 36x18. Especially if you're going to have a sump in the stand.

You might have to build bigger and have the 40breeder sit in the middle of the stand. It just won't look flush with the stand.

I say build with the pre-cut plywood they sell at homedepot / lowes. The size is 48x24. That way if you go with say a 33-36" height you have some space to work with.

By the way I like picture 1 and picture 3.

I understand the space constraint, I had a 40g and I had to store nearly everything underneath it due to space constraints. For whatever reason I'm not able to view idea 1. The second option is very beautiful however if you are looking to maximize space I feel like the center section would be a waste unless you have some everyday "display" items that would look nice in there for show. The third option seems pretty standard with the exception of the side hutch which could be used for a chiller/ato reservoir. In any case if you go with a pre made stand there are always some simple internal diy additions/renovations that you could do. Like adding baskets to the doors or mounting equipment to the internal ceiling. Good luck.

It's going to be hard to store things underneath a 40breeder stand with it's footprint being 36x18. Especially if you're going to have a sump in the stand.

You might have to build bigger and have the 40breeder sit in the middle of the stand. It just won't look flush with the stand.

I say build with the pre-cut plywood they sell at homedepot / lowes. The size is 48x24. That way if you go with say a 33-36" height you have some space to work with.

By the way I like picture 1 and picture 3.

Right i agree with both not being enough space. I should have clarified that I am looking to make it bigger, around 42x30? around that not sure depending how i can make it all work. I just not sure if i want a giant square with a tank sitting in the middle. That why i was looking for different ideas what people did

all three of your pictures are of nice , elegant stands. Each would make a nice centerpiece for any room.

But if you are looking for ideas for a 40b stand consider this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhZrKiqfRQ4

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/416634/Edsal-Heavy-Duty-Steel-Shelving-5/

A stand for a 40b tank, a 40b sump just underneath, and extra shelving. And if you want to hide things just use black cloth with magnets to hold the cloth in place.

Cheap and effective but not elegant.

How does a 150 fall out of a pickup truck?

all three of your pictures are of nice , elegant stands. Each would make a nice centerpiece for any room.

But if you are looking for ideas for a 40b stand consider this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhZrKiqfRQ4

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/416634/Edsal-Heavy-Duty-Steel-Shelving-5/

A stand for a 40b tank, a 40b sump just underneath, and extra shelving. And if you want to hide things just use black cloth with magnets to hold the cloth in place.

Cheap and effective but not elegant.

How does a 150 fall out of a pickup truck?

Appreciate it, but not looking for that. Probably looking for more of a nice piece that doesn't look like it was just thrown together. It is in a main room.

As for falling out of the pick up, I have previously used it to transport gravel and needless to say I was lazy and didn't want to sweep the tiny pebbles out and well started going up and hill and tank rolled right out the back. Being lazy doesn't pay

So I'm finally able to see option 1, I think that would be a really good idea. You have room underneath for a sump/fuge/ato and then you could use the side compartments for storage. It looks really clean and presentable too.

There are lots of youtube videos that can offer inspiration if you search and even google images if you search. I built my frame so far out of 2x4 and not skinned it yet. If you build the standard 40 breeder size then you will have enough room barely for a 20-gallon long sump which is 30 inches long.

I'm not a avid woodworker by trade and I learned a few lessons. If you use 2x4's remember they are 1.5 inches by 3.5 inches in your measurements. Also don't use the cheap, cheap 2x4's unless you want to spend a hour sorting to find half way decent ones. Pay the extra 25-50 cents per for the more premium ones.

I went with 30 inch height in my cut which actually gives you 37 inches in height for the stand and with the tank it's 54 inches tall. I made the mistake of cutting them 36 inches and didn't like the height or stability. Cutting them down to 30 inches made a world of difference to me. I have plenty of height to work under the tank. Remember you are adding 3.5 inches on the bottom and top of the stand for 7 inches total.

Remember building your own stand you will need very precise cuts or it will throw your stand off when leveling.

I have plans for something similar to some of the pics. I like the sleekness of the ELOS stands, so I shot for something similar. Here is my stand as of now:
ZwCkCcF.jpg

My plan is to make a small cabinet to put up next to it where I can store a 10g tank for top off water and store my 2 part jugs, wiring, testing stuff etc. My sump only leaved me 4 inches of space left in my stand:
UtyzkB4.jpg

I am still working on it. here is my rough drawing for the storage cabinet:
H7OIS4g.png

There are lots of youtube videos that can offer inspiration if you search and even google images if you search. I built my frame so far out of 2x4 and not skinned it yet. If you build the standard 40 breeder size then you will have enough room barely for a 20-gallon long sump which is 30 inches long.

I'm not a avid woodworker by trade and I learned a few lessons. If you use 2x4's remember they are 1.5 inches by 3.5 inches in your measurements. Also don't use the cheap, cheap 2x4's unless you want to spend a hour sorting to find half way decent ones. Pay the extra 25-50 cents per for the more premium ones.

I went with 30 inch height in my cut which actually gives you 37 inches in height for the stand and with the tank it's 54 inches tall. I made the mistake of cutting them 36 inches and didn't like the height or stability. Cutting them down to 30 inches made a world of difference to me. I have plenty of height to work under the tank. Remember you are adding 3.5 inches on the bottom and top of the stand for 7 inches total.

Remember building your own stand you will need very precise cuts or it will throw your stand off when leveling.

Hey thanks for the info. I should have stated I have built multiple stands before so the actual building I understood. I was looking more to see if someone has done this before and I could see what they did

I have plans for something similar to some of the pics. I like the sleekness of the ELOS stands, so I shot for something similar. Here is my stand as of now:
ZwCkCcF.jpg

My plan is to make a small cabinet to put up next to it where I can store a 10g tank for top off water and store my 2 part jugs, wiring, testing stuff etc. My sump only leaved me 4 inches of space left in my stand:
UtyzkB4.jpg

I am still working on it. here is my rough drawing for the storage cabinet:
H7OIS4g.png

Wow nice job. Came out super clean looking. I thought about buuding a direct fit like you did with a side cabinet. The idea is great because it offers flexibility in terms of placement.
I also thought of building side cabinets directly attached to the main stand for lack of better words but then I think the top would look dumb with nothing on it. So I am slightly torn

Wow nice job. Came out super clean looking. I thought about buuding a direct fit like you did with a side cabinet. The idea is great because it offers flexibility in terms of placement.
I also thought of building side cabinets directly attached to the main stand for lack of better words but then I think the top would look dumb with nothing on it. So I am slightly torn

Yeah, I want to make it a flat top with decent height in case I decide to put up another tank, haha. that way I can plumb it to the current system.

Back