400+ Gallon Reef Tank Stocking

Waltee1000

I am not that new to the hobby. I have been keeping freshwater fish since 2009 and moved to marine tanks in 2013. I currently have a 65 gallon mix reef tank since 2015. I have had my fair share of tank crashes. I have learnt a lot along the way over the years. I still feel that I have a lot to learn but I am comfortable enough to make the next big move in the hobby.

I am planning of getting a custom built 400+ gallon tank with the following dimensions 10'x3'x2'. I have prepared a stocking list. I wanted some feed back on stocking level and tank aggression based on the species choices I have made. Initially this will be a bare bottom FOWLR tank for a year. After the tank has matured enough and I have nailed the parameters into a acceptable range I will introduce Soft, LPS and SPS corals. The life stock choices I have made are based my final goal of keeping a lot of reef utility fish.

Here is the list. I will appreciate if one can suggest additions or deletions keeping reef utility in mind and having a balance of color and movement in all regions of the tank.

Tangs for algae control and beauty:
3 yellow tangs
1 Kole yellow eye tang
1 Powder blue tang
1 Hippo tang (Not keen on having but my wife and toddler daughter would love to have one)
1 Powder brown tang
2 Blue Caribbean tang
2 Sail fin tangs (one of each color/Type)
3 Purple tang
1 Scopus tang
2 Orange shoulder tang
1 Black spot tang
1 Lieutenant tang
1 Squaretail Bristletooth Tang
2 Naso tang

2 Foxface for algae control

Blenny for algae control:
2 Bicolor Blenny
2 Starry Blenny
2 Horseface Blenny

Wrasse for Pest, Parasite, Hitchhiker control:
1 Leopard Wrasse
1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Hooded Fairy Wrasse
1 Halichoeres melanurus
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 green coris wrasse
1 Filamented Flasher Wrasse

ButterFly Fish for Tube Worm and Aiptasia control
1 Copperband Butterflyfish
1 Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish

Schooling Fish for movement and color:
4 Lyretail Anthias (3 female, 1 male)
4 Indian Ocean Lyretail Anthias (3 female, 1 male)
4 Dispar Anthias (3 female, 1 male)
4 Squareback Anthias (3 female, 1male)
4 Bimaculatus Anthias (3 female, 1 male)
4 Black Axil Chromis
4 Blue Reef Chromis
4 Sunshine Chromis, Purple & Yellow
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
4 Fiji Barberi Clownfish
4 Orange Skunk Clownfis

Invertebrates:
6 Sally Lightfoot Crab (Eat leftover meaty foods)
10 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (clean fish of parasites and eat left over)
6 Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Like their color, eat left over food)
2 Harlequin Shrimp (To control Asterina Star Fish)
100-200 Trochus Snail (Can flip on their own and very hardy)
12 Fighting Conch Snails (Eats Red Slim Algae)

Too many fish imo. I have a 400g (8'x3'x3') and feel it's stocked with just the minimal rockwork and 20 or so fish. 80 would be wild lol.

All fish are a good 3+ years old and very fat.

Naso
2 yellow
Purple
Chevron
Powder blue
Regal angelfish
7 Anthias (had much more before and will add anywhere 5-10)
2 chromis
2 different wrasse
Copper band
Midas blenny
3 cardinal
Mandarin
Neon goby

I could see myself getting another 10-15 total but smaller fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like tanks with just a few good show fish. Here's why.

1-More like having actual pets instead of a bunch of fish.
2-Think of the fish. Yes, in the ocean, there are massive schools....IN THE OCEAN. I see you have a lot of 4's. They won't swim together like we want to think. Been there, tried that, don't work. They will be all over mixing in with all the other fish. They school in the ocean because of predators. None of that here. Our tanks are nothing but a droplet to them. Put your 400 g tank on the beach, then catch 82 fish and put them in it, then grab a bunch of rocks and put those in it. Now step back and see how happy they look. Sounds stupid, but makes ya think.
3-Far fewer water changes needed.
4-Easier to keep corals healthy
5-Less chance of bringing in disease. Trust me, I went thru this. Well over a year. Not fun at all. Almost broke me. Get a parasite outbreak with that many fish and you have an absolutely devastating situation on your hands. Quarantine is good, but not always 100%.
6-Fish have personality. In a 400 gallon tank, you might actually get to see that if you don't overstock the tank
7-Anxiety. If you have any, it will drive you nuts with that many fish. People without it will come over and look overwhelmed when looking at the tank.
8-Absolutely no focus will be on the corals. When I walk up to a reef tank with a lot of fish, my brain wants to shut down so I just look and walk away.
9-Looks extremely unnatural.
10-Every time you add a fish, everyone in the tank has to adjust. Ever get a dog? Or a baby? Or have friends over? There's adjustment there. I know we're not fish, but just think about it.

To sum it up, keeping aquariums is meant to be relaxing, fun, and help relieve the stresses of life. With a crazy amount of fish, it won't be relaxing, it won't be fun, and it will most certainly not relieve any of the stresses of life. If your're like anybody else on earth, life does not get easier as we get older. We just get greedier and greedier, and can't help but think... more...more...more, only to see more isn't the answer. This is no different. So if you take anything away from this, keep it simple and you will actually enjoy this monumental task you're about to undertake.

Here's my list. Believe it or not, it doesn't look like it needs any more. It is very relaxing to sit and watch, is a lot of fun, and relieves a lot of my stress. I got none of these in the beginning. In the beginning, it about wrecked me. But man, oh man, am I glad I saw the light that less is more when keeping reef fish.
750 gallon reef. 10 x 4 wide x 2.6 tall, 150 g sump

1-Naso, show size (I like your idea of a pair of Nasos. Saw that once and it was sweet. If I were you, make them the focus of your tank).
1-Sailfin, show size
1-Powder blue tang, show size
5-Yellow tangs
1-Kole tang

1-Flame angel
2-Normal clowns (never jumped on the band wagon for fancy clowns)
1-Hawkfish
3-Chromis
1-Magnificent Foxface

Last edited:
Most of the species of fish you picked will work...just way too many on the list. 22 tangs + 2 foxface is too much. I would pick a few of your favorites...maybe 7-10?

Even in a 400, I would skip the sixline wrasse if keeping other wrasses. Your other wrasses, especially fairies/flashers, will thank you. I would skip the green "coris" too.

I'm not sure about mixing that many clowns. I know it's a very large tank, but it still makes me nervous. More than one pair will probably be fine, but again, I think 10 will be too many.

Also, leaped wrasse in a barebottom won't work well. They want sand to sleep in.

I made the same mistake the op is making

I have 20 anthias , 11 tangs , 8 wrasses and 9 mis other fish in my 265

I will let you know it can work in your size tank with that amount of fish
But man is it a pain to keep nutrients down.
If you plan of keeping all those tangs and anthias happy you have to feed ,feed ,feed. I feed a sheet of nori and day and a big block of mysis a week
Plus pellets. Now my fish are big and fat and always been happy

My corals not so much. Had a tank crash with all my sps dying and some lps. Had to upgrade skimmer to 1500 gallon one and had to dose nopox to keep up with nitrates. Now I love the fish a lot. It's greAt going up to tank and seeing 50 fish following you around. But if I would do it again I would probably buy a few less fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for all your reply and insights. I have updated the list based on the feed back received. I would request one to look at my list of Anthias and suggest any changes to reduce aggression. I have left Lyretail out as they are considered most aggressive kind of Anthias. Also is the list of Tang still big and need further trimming. I will agree with many, I am very involved my my tank daily but I would like a low maintenance one specially for corals.

Also, I am going for a 3/4" non tempted glass. I calculated the safety factor to be 8 using a online calculator was hoping for a 1" glass but most custom reef maker over 3/4 as the most thickest option. Is 3/4 good enough for 10'x3'x2' 400+ gallon reef tank?

2 Yellow
1 Powder blue
1 Powder brown
1 Blue Caribbean tang
1 Sail fin tang
1 Purple tang
1 Orange shoulder tang
1 Lieutenant tang
1 Naso tang

1 Foxface

2 Dispar Anthias (2 female)
2 Squareback Anthias (2 female)
2 Bimaculatus Anthias (2 female)
2 Sunset Anthias (2 female)
2 Evansi Anthias (2 female)
2 Resplendent Anthias (2 female)
2 Princess Anthias (2 female)

ButterFly Fish for Tube Worm and Aiptasia control:

2 Fiji Barberi Clownfish (No tank without clown)

1 Green Mandarin (Mandarin for pod control)

Clean Up Crew:
6 Sally Lightfoot Crab
10 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
6 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
2 Harlequin Shrimp
100-200 Trochus Snail
12 Fighting Conch Snails

Thanks for all your reply and insights. I have updated the list based on the feed back received. I would request one to look at my list of Anthias and suggest any changes to reduce aggression. I have left Lyretail out as they are considered most aggressive kind of Anthias. Also is the list of Tang still big and need further trimming. I will agree with many, I am very involved my my tank daily but I would like a low maintenance one specially for corals.

Also, I am going for a 3/4" non tempted glass. I calculated the safety factor to be 8 using a online calculator was hoping for a 1" glass but most custom reef maker over 3/4 as the most thickest option. Is 3/4 good enough for 10'x3'x2' 400+ gallon reef tank?

2 Yellow
1 Powder blue
1 Powder brown
1 Blue Caribbean tang
1 Sail fin tang
1 Purple tang
1 Orange shoulder tang
1 Lieutenant tang
1 Naso tang

1 Foxface

Clean Up Crew:
6 Sally Lightfoot Crab
6 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
2 Harlequin Shrimp
100-200 Trochus Snail
12 Fighting Conch Snails

3/4" is plenty thick. Be prepared to need some strong friends or movers. That thing will be +1200lbs

List definitely looks better. Be prepared to feed lots.

2 Yellow
1 Powder blue
1 Powder brown
1 Blue Caribbean tang
1 Sail fin tang
1 Purple tang
1 Orange shoulder tang
1 Lieutenant tang
1 Naso tang

1 Foxface

Clean Up Crew:
6 Sally Lightfoot Crab
6 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
2 Harlequin Shrimp
100-200 Trochus Snail
12 Fighting Conch Snails

You don't need 100-200 trochus snails. I bought 10 and now have way over 200. They will breed in the aquarium
Sally get really big and can be jerks when older
Far an anthias I have 6 barlets , 8 lyertails , 5 bimacs. While there is aggression. Nothing serious and they have all lived over 2 years. I actually even have 2 male lyertails living together in same tank

So if you want in that size tank you can get more of each
Your tang selection looks ok
I have in my 265
3 yellows
2 mata
Hippo
Blond naso
Chevron
Sohal ( getting rude will rehome soon)
Powder blue
Lieutenant tang

They all get along expect sohal. He fights with all of them but the chevron and blonde naso

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMHO - RE: Anthias, you're better off getting a larger number of 1 or 2 species rather than 2 of 7 different species. Also, if you include anthias, be prepared to feed 3-5 times a day to keep them at optimum health. I've found the larger sp. such as the Squarebacks can make due with 2-3 feedings.

Avoid crabs. Most of them are opportunistic predators, will pick at corals and harass sleeping fish when they get larger.

Harlequin shrimp feed on starfish and would be better suited to a species tank.

IMHO - RE: Anthias, you're better off getting a larger number of 1 or 2 species rather than 2 of 7 different species. Also, if you include anthias, be prepared to feed 3-5 times a day to keep them at optimum health. I've found the larger sp. such as the Squarebacks can make due with 2-3 feedings.

Avoid crabs. Most of them are opportunistic predators, will pick at corals and harass sleeping fish when they get larger.

Harlequin shrimp feed on starfish and would be better suited to a species tank.

This seems like very good advice.

Back