5 ppm nitrates 0 ppm phosphate dinos and hair algae taking over 8 year old tank

Answer to Neptune 90 : At a pH of 8.3 (most reef tanks),it is ammonium not ammonia +- (99 % ammonium). Whether you get ammonia or ammonium , both are pH dependent, ammonia occurs at a totally different pH . The ammonium almost never gets a chance to oxidize to nitrate, because nearly everything that photosynthesis 's (macro-algaes, corals (zooxanthellae ;(a microalgae that lives in corals, that produces starches for coral energy),and giant clams,:"EAT" or adsorb every bit that they can get.!!The ammonium you have( Dr. Tim's Tank Starter),should work. Its a matter of contacting the manufacturer for the concentration to use and how often. We make our own, ( I use to teach Chemistry, Biology, and Physics.) Addendum,::Remember that most "Phosphate" test kits, only test for INORGANIC Phosphates, and it's the ORGANO-Phosphates that come from feeding animals (fish, etc.) that cause the REAL problems. Re-read 369Augold of May 17, 2023, there's an addendum to it now.

Last edited:
so you dose ammonia to lower your phosphours and raise nitrate if im understanding that correctly. right now according to my salifert I have 0 phosphate, I have a ulr phosphorus Hannah checker on the way to verify that though. my nitrates are sitting at about 5 right now. so I read people dose 1 drop per 10 gallons, I have some dr.tims ammonium chloride on had because im cycling a tank right now so I could use that but im not sure if this would be a good option for me because of where my parameters are sitting right now. any thoughts? thank you
Sorry, By my ignorance of computers, I somehow accidently posted my reply on the #2 "page", instead of this #1 page (please go to the #2 page.

Sorry, By my ignorance of computers, I somehow accidently posted my reply on the #2 "page", instead of this #1 page (please go to the #2 page.
You didn't do anything wrong. The software automatically splits threads into pages. Thanks for your contributions.

so you dose ammonia to lower your phosphours and raise nitrate if im understanding that correctly. right now according to my salifert I have 0 phosphate, I have a ulr phosphorus Hannah checker on the way to verify that though. my nitrates are sitting at about 5 right now. so I read people dose 1 drop per 10 gallons, I have some dr.tims ammonium chloride on had because im cycling a tank right now so I could use that but im not sure if this would be a good option for me because of where my parameters are sitting right now. any thoughts? thank you
At a pH of 8.3 (most reef tanks),it is ammonium (which is NON-toxic) not ammonia (which is very TOXIC) +- (99 % ammonium). Whether you get ammonia or ammonium , both are pH dependent, ammonia occurs at a totally different pH . The ammonium almost never gets a chance to oxidize to nitrate, because nearly everything that photosynthesis 's (macro-algaes, corals (zooxanthellae ;(a microalgae that lives in corals, that produces starches for coral energy),and giant clams,:"EAT" or adsorb every bit that they can get.!!The ammonium you have( Dr. Tim's Tank Starter),should work. Its a matter of contacting the manufacturer for the concentration to use and how often. We make our own, ( I use to teach Chemistry, Biology, and Physics.)

Addendum,::Remember that most "Phosphate" test kits, only test for INORGANIC Phosphates, and it's the ORGANO-Phosphates that come from feeding animals (fish, etc.) that cause the REAL problems. Re-read 369Augold of May 17, 2023, there's an addendum to it now.

Last edited:
Back