65 RR build

AngelandNathan

Hey everyone,

Thanks to some very nice people here we have acquired a 65 gallon reef ready aquarium and some of the equipment we will be using. We have never had anything other than AIO aquariums and this will be a learning experience for us.
The plan is to have a mixed reef tank with more of a focus on sps coral. So now that we have a goal, we need a little advice and some direction and this is the best place to find it.

So far the equipment list:
Tank: 65gallon reef ready (36Lx18Dx24H) with stand
Lighting: MH/LED combo with a 250w 20K radium
Powerheads: Tunze 6055 X2
Controller: Apex (currently on biocube setup) correct me if I'm wrong but we can control two tanks with one controller right?
ATO: replacing the Tunze 3155 with 3152 on biocube and using the 3155 on this tank.

On our shopping list:
Sump, thinking something around 20 gallons
Return pump, I already forgot what the rule of thumb is 20-50x volume?
Skimmer, researching what might be best for the fit and need sump first.
Canopy (hoping to build one, and have a lot of questions about this too)

The overflow is foreign to us and we have some questions about this. Personally we would prefer having an emergency overflow but this would require more drilling I think. Then there is the question of herbie or durso? I have no experience with plumbing aquariums and can't say I know the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other.

The reefing community here has a wealth of knowledge and this is a whole new game for us. Any advice or correction is welcome if anyone spots a potential problem with this setup.

With a single overflow you are going to max your pump out about 7-800gph. Unless you modify the overflow. This is generally plenty.
Apex is very expandable and you can run many tanks off one main unit. You just need long enough cords and what ever modules you may need.
Durso can allow you a cleaner install. Meaning no pipes over the back of the tank. Supply and return can be run through the same over flow. This is what I do. Many do Herbie or the mean/bean thing. I have been running Durso's a very long time and they work well. From what I have seen with other tanks so do the other methods. If you do Durso just remember to up size the pipe.

I am sure many people here would let you stop by to see how they do things.

Angel, I'm in Wesley Chapel, but you're welcome to stop by and take a look at my setup which utilizes a Herbie (the best) overflow system. If you have two holes drilled in your overflow, it is an easy mod (and the easiest, and the least amount of fooling, etc.). I'd be happy to walk you through any questions on setup, methodology, etc. Shot me a PM if your interested.

Great pump Mike but would require some overflow modification.

The Sea SP series can be regulated with no ill effects. My SP6 is throttled back but will be used soon to also feed my frag tank. I have an SP2 on my Zeo Reactor and it is pretty nice as I do have to control the flow through the reactor at about 400 gallons per hour.

I'm in the exact same boat as OP: moving from nano AIOs to a 60+ SPS dominated reef. I think I'm going to go with the Herbie overflow method as most of the successful tanks I've seen use it.

What kind of return pumps are recommended? I love the idea of going with an external pump and plumbing in an automatic water change system. Anyone use controllable return pumps or is that overkill?

Sorry I got a chuckle out of your first comment. There are plenty successful tanks using all kinds of methods.
As for controllable pumps do you mean your main circulation pump? All the pumps in my tank are controllable. Totally don't need the controllable part but they sure are fun.

Sorry I got a chuckle out of your first comment. There are plenty successful tanks using all kinds of methods.
As for controllable pumps do you mean your main circulation pump? All the pumps in my tank are controllable. Totally don't need the controllable part but they sure are fun.

Sorry, what I meant was that the tanks I'm trying to emulate all use herbie overflow method. I just helped my dad set up a durso overflow this weekend, not hating on one vs another, just my preference. :strooper:

Yes I was referring to the main recirc pump. I've never needed a controllable return pump and didn't know if they were useful for larger tanks. I'm used to 1 Maxijet return pump and 1 MP10 and having more flow than I know what to do with haha

Just messing with you then again you never know what peope mean. I wouldn't think the success of a tank would have anything to do with the overflow/drain type but you never know.
I used a controllable pump because it is dc and the most efficient for what I am doing. If you have a big enough sump you can slow it down and do a waterchange or some maintenance leaving the pump running.

Thank you everybody for the feedback. We took a spontaneous trip to NC for a week and just got back. I have just contacted somebody here about a skimmer but still need a sump and return pump.

janes_mw, I couldn't view your pump but you've got my number if you want to text me (Nathan) I just picked up your two tunze powerheads.

I'll keep my eyes open on here for a sump but if anyone has or knows of any available let me know. I plan on using socks and skimmer, refugium isn't out of the question but also not one of my requirements.

For now we are going to paint the stand, clean the tank and hopefully build a canopy. I've seen people use Killz inside the stand, can anyone recommend anything for the inside? And is it recommended to treat the inside of the canopy as well? For cleaning the tank I see something that looks rusty in color on the overflow and lots of vermatid snails inside the overflow is vinegar and water going to work or should I use something more abrasive like muriatic acid cut with water?

Again thanks for the advice we don't have much experience especially not with setting up a new tank.

You may have my old tank (warped center brace). I used a 20 gallon long as a sump, you have to pull the top cross brace off the stand and drop it in through the top. I ran mine with a mag 5 or 7 as a return. I think I still have the plumbing and pump hiding in the garage. The 20 long is currently curing some live rock. Your welcome to any of it if you need

I have a custom 20g long with baffles, mag 5 pump, and sca 301. I was able to upgrade the sump to a 40g breeder(it fits under my stand I made)and plan on upgrading the skimmer cause I don't think that will handle the tank. Probably look at upgrading to a DC pump.

I would like to use a 20L as a sump, I will just be running socks and a skimmer for now and later down the line a media reactor. If anybody has one they don't use anymore or don't need let me know. I have a 29 but it feels a little awkward in the stand.

petco is running their $1/gallon sale right now - the location in brandon had a number of 20L's in stock today, might check one near you.

Awesome safir, I was just thinking to myself..... I wonder when they will have another $1/gallon sale. Thanks for the heads up :beer:

Back