72 Gallon Bowfront - New Tank

SN152646.jpg

SN152645.jpg

SN152644.jpg

Not that many updates. Been super busy at work and whelping a litter of pups.

Anyway, I added a blue hippo tang (better watch out for the tang police). I also added a huge green hairy mushroom, a small purple mushroom, and a small frag of zoas that I got from Steffen.

Also, Justin (pseudopimp) donated a frag of his branching hammer, some orange Monti cap frags, and a frag of bird's nest. I've been a bit afraid of sps but I thought what the heck. These were added last week and have been doing great. I'll post up pics as soon as I can.

Fluval has been sold and I found out the back of my tank isn't tempered. Want to drill soon. :)

Last edited:
i hope that birdsnest colors up better for you than it does for me! SPS are only scary when you first start. i mean i can keep them alive so everyone should be able to.

Here are some pics of the tank.

I haven't drilled it yet but will eventually. lol

I have been using a loaner skimmer from Jay. It's an AquaC Remora powered by a MJ1200.

Been battling green algae. Not sure what the problem is yet. I am feeding every 2-3 days. I did tests on my water source and everything is at zero (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and phosphate). I may need to use a TDS meter tho.

I tested the tank and ammonia, nitrites, and phosphate is at zero. Nitrates are less than 10ppm. I think the phosphate is showing up as zero because the algae is consuming it right away. So it may be a false test.

I am now considering dosing either vodka or sugar. Not sure on it yet. Kinda scared. lol

Here are some pics I took today.

SN152743.jpg

SN152742.jpg

SN152739.jpg

SN152737.jpg

SN152734.jpg

SN152733.jpg

SN152730.jpg

SN152727.jpg

SN152725.jpg

It was actually a bit worse. The tang has teamed up with the blenny. She trims the longer algae and th blenny finishes it off. They're not fast enough yet. I had only three hermits till this past Wednesday. I added 5 more. They dont seem to be fast enough either. I don't wanna add snails because I think they'll get killed by the hermits.

Maybe I should add a sea hare or more hermits.

dude, go to Salty Fin and buy some Turbos snails, They have them there for $1.50 each. They help out alot with hair algae. As long as the hermits have plenty of empty shells to try on and something to eat, they will leave your snails alone. I am a firm believer in a large and diverse Clean up crew. Hermits will stop eating algae if they find meaty food ie when you feed the fish. Snails feed strictly on algae.

Cool. I don't think I have enough empty shells. Do you know where I can get some?

Also, the nitrates and phosphate must be coming from somewhere. They're probably going to spike once the turbos finish off the algae, no?

any LFS has empty shells or you can even go to Hobby lobby and they sell a variety of shells for arts and craft.

As far as the Algae comming back, i might or it might not. your tank is still establishing itself and you will see stuff that makes the DT look ugly start going away slowly.

Lets say you get rid of all of the algae and you see it starts coming back, then you start taking steps to figure out what is causing the bloom, but remember make only one change @ a time or else you will not know what works and what doesnt.

Saltwater keeping is a constant Chess game. Just keep up what you are doing and don't get discourage. It usualy works itself out.

Had to dig up this thread. Lol. Hadn't updated in a while.

Steffen came over to drill my tank yesterday afternoon. He did an awesome job. Hans came over as well so I had the opportunity to leet him.

Can't wait to set everything back up.

Here are some pics. I will keep adding pics as the set up continues.

Right before taking the rank down for drilling.
26a412e9.jpg

1da252c2.jpg

0a794ada.jpg

7ff38aa8.jpg

Did the sump myself. As you can see I went a little silicone happy.
d14b982b.jpg

b2f532a7.jpg

5f4091a4.jpg

ff8cea25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey looks great!! :thumbsup: Hans has the supervisor look going keeping Steffen straight! Having the tank drilled is definitely the way to go. Keep the pics coming as you progress!

Jay

surprised the drilling went as good as it did with the XX on the table. hopefully that was after the drilling was over.

surprised the drilling went as good as it did with the XX on the table. hopefully that was after the drilling was over.

Steffen wasn't allowed to drink till after the drilling was done. Ha ha! Couldn't risk it! Jk

Here is the tank painted now.

5df72d3d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back