75 gallon stocking list

GPSReef

Tank specs 75 gal 48x18x21 65 #'s Lr in dt 15 #'s in refug
1.5" sb in dt with decent size cleanup crew of nassarius snail, ceriths, small hermits and a few emerald crabs I will also have predominantly lps and softies/zoas so fish must be REEF SAFE. I also have a 7 gallon qt set up for the cardinals or assessor (whichever I can find first)

Just wanted some advice as to what order I should add my tank inhabitants and if they will work together here is what I have had in mind including order:
Already in
-3 blue/green chromis added about 3 weeks after tank finished cycle have been doing great for a month or so no murders yet!
Future stocking
1. bonded pair or group of 3 bangaii cardinals
2. yellow assessor or orchid dottyback. Has anyone heard of these two living together in this size tank? I cant decide between the two and will likely have it come down to the color my tank needs most
3. flasher wrasse or maybe a pair of males (defferent species) not sure think my tank is a bit small. interested in mccoskers, blue line, carpenters
4. Percula clown maybe two of them if I only get one wrasse
5. Coral beauty or flame angel This has been the part giving me the biggest headache. I love both of these fish and have been set on one or the other since day one. They scare me because of the chance they nip corals also they could bully some of my more passive fish (that's why I have it last to go in). I will likely spend time watching it in the store to make sure it's not displaying overly aggressive behavior as well as in qt then add the fish and if it doesn't work out find him a new home.
6. If the angel doesn't work what is the possibility of a tang in a 75? I've looked at yellows and tomini and have been told they will work but I'm not sure

An orchid dottyback and yellow assesor can work if the assesor is added first and has a chance to become established.

I would recomend 3 male flashers of different species rather than just 2 as one will become dominant so having 2 to chase and displat to is better for the non dominant wrasses.

As far as the angels there are accounts of ones being completely trustworthy and some being less so. So I suppose buyer beware.

Possible tangs for your size tank either tomini or kole.

imho, seems like that list might end up having the tank overstocked. seems like possibly 9 or 10 decent size fish that will mostly all be in the water column. tank might get small quickly. i had a pair of clowns, and they got seriously aggressive. i got rid of the pair, and am down to a single ocelaris. in my 75g i have 9 fish, but 4 are bottom dwellers... manderin, scooter red blenny, tail spot blenny, and orange spot goby. in the column i have the clown, 3 different firefish, and a sunburst anthias. i would not add any more personally. tank just gets too tight with them each wanting their own territory.

I currently have a coral beauty that has done well in my 75 gallon doesn't seem to pick on my softies or Lps so far. I had a tang for about 2 years (given to me by another reefer) also had no issues with him.

Also, you will only end up w a pr of bangaii cardinals, 2 will pr up and not tolerate a 3rd. I also dont feel your tank would be overstocked, as long as your water chemistry stays within acceptable levels.

An orchid dottyback and yellow assesor can work if the assesor is added first and has a chance to become established.

I would recomend 3 male flashers of different species rather than just 2 as one will become dominant so having 2 to chase and displat to is better for the non dominant wrasses.

As far as the angels there are accounts of ones being completely trustworthy and some being less so. So I suppose buyer beware.

Possible tangs for your size tank either tomini or kole.
Cool my lfs deals with ORA going to see if they can get me a tank bred yellow and I'll look for an orchid a bit down the road. Bonded pairs of bengaiis pop up on divers den from time to time perhaps I'll look into that.
imho, seems like that list might end up having the tank overstocked. seems like possibly 9 or 10 decent size fish that will mostly all be in the water column. tank might get small quickly. i had a pair of clowns, and they got seriously aggressive. i got rid of the pair, and am down to a single ocelaris. in my 75g i have 9 fish, but 4 are bottom dwellers... manderin, scooter red blenny, tail spot blenny, and orange spot goby. in the column i have the clown, 3 different firefish, and a sunburst anthias. i would not add any more personally. tank just gets too tight with them each wanting their own territory.
I was thinking it might look crowded although I wouldn't have a tang and angel most likely just one as my centerpiece. But maybe I'll look into some more bottom/cave dwellers to spread things out. I've shy'd away from gobies b/c I feel like they will tear up my sand. I also was thinking anthias instead of the wrasse's I love sunbursts!
I currently have a coral beauty that has done well in my 75 gallon doesn't seem to pick on my softies or Lps so far. I had a tang for about 2 years (given to me by another reefer) also had no issues with him.
I had been leaning toward the beauty because I've heard more stories of them being good reef inhabitants than I have flames. I had planned on putting it in last or very close to last to allow the timid fish time to get established

I have a flame angel who has been perfect with my corals in my 75g and just stares at me. I LOVE him. I am thinking about trying him with a coral beauty IMO any new reefer should never try dwarf angels together. In this tank I also have a baby yellow tang and a kole tang. IMO I was thinking about replacing/returning him because his colors as my brother would say "look like poo" I have never given one back and I don't know if i ca do it tho. The yellow is active and eats algae non stop. With clowns I recommend occelaris as mine are peaceful.

Stock of fish:
flame angel
yellow tang
kole tang
2 clowns
1 seahorse
2 lyretail anthias
orchid dottyback
1 pink stripe goby

I really love my system, my tank is a cube so it doesn't look overstocked, also I have a BIG skimmer. I only keep lps and softies. My system seems a lot like yours will be! (its 2 years old). Any questions ask.

I have a yellow tang, tomini tang, and a flame angel all in my 75 gallon. The flame leaves the coral alone. I also have a clown and a royal gramma in with them.

Thanks for the advice and personal experience. I'm going have my lfs bring in a yellow assessor from ORA I like that they are tank bred plus the farm is pretty close to me here in FL so I don't have to worry about huge travel stress. Then into qt for at least 4 weeks.
3 bangaiis probably will not work out.
angels eat corals. big hit or miss
kole tang ok..
I'm leaning away from the cardinals all together don't seem like the most personable fish. Since I plan on adding tang/ angel last I will have time to decide but will likely go for whoever I can worry less about

I came across this guy on divers den anybody ever kept these? http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=227140
It's a yellow candy hogfish if you can't see the link

Dwarf angels are really hit or miss. I had a flame angel that would only occasionally nip at corals (no clam in tank so not sure if he was clam safe), but I had a coral beauty that was a coral nipping machine. Previous coral beauties would leave the softies alone, but not that last one.

I am not a huge fan of cardinals, like you they do not seem personable to me. However, I have gone designer clownfish crazy... one pair per suitable size tank in my house... so three pairs!

My orange spotted goby and pink spotted goby do not mess with the sand bed. If you find pick a goby that does not sift sand for its primary source of food you should be ok. Have you considered blennies? My favorite so far is the starry blenny.

I am not a huge fan of cardinals, like you they do not seem personable to me. However, I have gone designer clownfish crazy... one pair per suitable size tank in my house... so three pairs!
Yea I've moved away from the cardinal idea for now at least. I was in my lfs the other day and they had some beautiful snowflakes (reg and black) and two midnights. I def can't wait to get a pair!
My orange spotted goby and pink spotted goby do not mess with the sand bed. If you find pick a goby that does not sift sand for its primary source of food you should be ok. Have you considered blennies? My favorite so far is the starry blenny.
Perhaps I will observe some at local stores and see if I can find one that has less of a taste for sand. I have thought about blennies they have a great reputation as being "favorite fish" of people. Do they get aggressive towards conspecific species or similar looking fish?

My new list that I've revised since starting thread
already added
3 blue/green reef chromis
Future
1.yellow assessor
2. small group of wrasse or anthias
3. clownfish pair
4. orchid dottyback
5. angel or tang
6. maybe blenny or goby but I definitely don't want it getting too crowded
and assorted soft and lps corals with very few if any sps

"My new list that I've revised since starting thread
already added
3 blue/green reef chromis
Future
1.yellow assessor
2. small group of wrasse or anthias
3. clownfish pair
4. orchid dottyback
5. angel or tang
6. maybe blenny or goby but I definitely don't want it getting too crowded
and assorted soft and lps corals with very few if any sps"

1) They are nice and would do well in that environment, never look nice enough for the price to me though
2) I would avoid the group of anthias, typically need a larger system and honestly are a pain in the butt with the amount of feeding required (seem to die if not fed at least twice a day, really pollutes the system too). Small group of wrasse are nice but consider that they are jumpers and that having more than one increases this risk (chasing) so make sure and have a lid. Personally I would rather do the less flashy yellow corris wrasse as they are active once acclimated, less aggressive (generally), and are one of the best wrasse for pest control (plus they can be kept in groups if desired.
3) Clownfish are great hardy, captive bred, great assortment, and lots of personality.
4) Like the orchid dottybacks, a little aggressive at times but should be fine with everything else. Also quite hardy and captive bred.
5) I love tomini tangs but usually am alone on this sentiment. Another good tang for that tank size is the blue kole tang they never look as nice in stores but when they color up they look quite nice and the price tag isn't bad either
p-37089-bristletooth.jpg

Here is one on live aquaria, they call it a two spot bristletooth tang (probably the more accurate name)
I would avoid dwarf angels if you have any worries about eating corals, there is just no gaurantee (granted I have a purple tang that eats anthelia so I guess that's true of any fish, but dwarf angels seem to be more iffy)
6) Look up ruby red dragonet, they still seem to be pricey online but locally in oklahoma I can get them for 20 bucks. Mine have eaten rods reef food from day one. Can also be kept in small "herds" very cool fish in my opinion.

My recommendation (based on my understanding of your interest)
3 chromis (already there)
1 yellow corris wrasse (fits your color need in the yellow assessor, but is reef beneficial, and no worries with dottyback)
5-6 red dragonet (easier "small group" to keep than wrasse or anthias with tons of color, also very fun to watch and might spawn)
1 orchid dotty back (great pick)
1 chiseltooth tang (tomini, cheveron, and kole tangs all fall in this category)
2 clownfish (seems a necessity these days)

That makes 10 reef safe fish (with six dragonets) that are relatively slow growers and all are relatively hardy.

First of all thank you for your input and advice it's very much appreciated
2) I would avoid the group of anthias, typically need a larger system and honestly are a pain in the butt with the amount of feeding required (seem to die if not fed at least twice a day, really pollutes the system too).

These were many of my worries with anthias plus I would really like to have 5 or more perhaps an upgrade someday I will try some.

I love tomini tangs but usually am alone on this sentiment. Another good tang for that tank size is the blue kole tang they never look as nice in stores but when they color up they look quite nice and the price tag isn't bad either

I care too much about my corals (when they're in the tank) so it's looking like a tang instead of angel. I've seen those bristletooth tangs on LA very good looking fish!

1 yellow corris wrasse (fits your color need in the yellow assessor, but is reef beneficial, and no worries with dottyback)

I do have a question with these two I have a clean up crew of cerith snails, hermits, emerald and mithrax crabs and few other hitchhikers. The wrasse I don't know much about other than I like the color would it be safe with the clean up crew? To my understanding dragonets can be quite finicky and require constant addition of pods as a food source I had always shy'd away from those guys and haven't researched them much so perhaps I'm a bit mistaken. Also will they do anything to decimate those inverts. At the end of the day it's fish before clean up crew but my family does like the little critters (especially the crabs) and I don't mind the help with algae

Last edited:
Even two dragonettes would be difficult. I do understand the want, they are very cool fish but, please read up on the feeding requirements.

Even two dragonettes would be difficult. I do understand the want,
they are very cool fish but, please read up on the feeding requirements.

Yes that's what I always understood that's why I had never even considered them. If anything I'd put only one in my refugium but certainly not putting any larger groups in my dt

Back