A few general questions (identification and scape design)

Blindf8th

Howdie,

Just a few questions that can hopefully help make me more successful long term. About a year ago i got back in the hobby and have finally gotten to the point where my tank is looking Ok. I know i can improve it, but I need some input before I go changing anything (scape and placement of frags). I'll apologize now for the quality, but my DSLR wasn't charged.

1. Can anyone identify these corals and tell me if they sting other corals. I have been branching off and trying new things, but this is key for me to learn in order t place frags properly. I recently learned the hard way and realized my brain (dunno the term) had tentacles that stretched out to an Acan and Galaxia and apparently is the dominant one. Before I start throwing corals where they look nice I need to learn how to make better decisions. The 3 pics below I'd like to find out what they are and if they are friendly with other corals so I can keep them separated before damaging anything else.

Total of 3 need identification (The pink and 2 greens (they encrust)

2. The Orange Yuma (pic 4) moved the other day and it left two slimy looking things in its wake. Is this how mushrooms multiply?

3. Since my tank is the IM 30L, my width (front to back) is not much. My scape design is completely setup as islands with the right MP10 pushing water across the front display (right to left) while my left MP10 is pushing water along the back acrylic (left to right). This initially seemed like a good idea and things have been going pretty good, but overall the LPS in the front tend to wave towards the left only instead of a more of a balanced flow (because of the circular flow I currently have). The good side is that this has kept the dead spots to a minimum, but the down side is the scape is more vertical leaving less placement opportunities for frags.

So my final question is I'm considering moving my scape back about 3-4 inches which would put my scape against the back acrylic wall. This would allow me to build the scape a slant config granting more real state instead of the island. Is the general consensus that providing flow behind your scape is a more beneficial idea or do most hobbyist tend to lean towards keeping rock placed against the back wall which I'm considering?

Wow... Did not mean to write a novel here, but would love some general thoughts should anyone have some.

Thanks,

Blind

Attachments

• 20160604_215247.jpg
    20160604_215247.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160604_215004.jpg
    20160604_215004.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160604_215059.jpg
    20160604_215059.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160604_215111.jpg
    20160604_215111.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160604_215632.jpg
    20160604_215632.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
1. looks like an acan. Lps will have stinging tentacles.
2. I'd say it's a type on Monti, but I'm probably wrong. Wouldn't think it has stinging tentacles
3. Looks like a LPS, but you said it is entrusting. Not sure

Yes, mushrooms will multiply by moving and leaving a piece of Their foot, which will develop unto another mushroom.

3. Generally you want your rocks to only touch rocks, they are more stable and their are less dead spots.

If you still want to change the flow up, I would find/buy a maxi jet and point it behind your rocks. I would then move the 2nd vortech to the front pointed at the other vortech. If you have a wireless model you can sync them and they could push water back and forth as apposed to just in one direction.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your feedback and I'll be keeping the scape and just focus on the MP10 moving it forward.

Blind

Back