A need to read Article from coral magazine. We are in danger of losing our coral.

Reefdiver72

Premium Member
Frag No More? Endangered Species Proposal Threatens Marine Aquaculture
By CORAL Editors - Posted on 30 March 2010

Aquacultured Acropora sp. at Oceans Reefs & Aquariums in Ft. Pierce, Florida.
Image by Matthew L. Wittenrich from The 101 Best Marine Invertebrates.

A petition to classify 82 stony corals as Endangered Species under U.S. law could spell doom"”or a bureaucratic nightmare"”for any business or individual aquaculturing corals or live rock for the aquarium trade, industry experts are predicting.
"Listing the corals would destroy the aquaculture business," says marine biologist and well-known reef protection advocate Henry Feddern, PhD of Tavernier, Florida. "I do not see that listing the corals as endangered would do anything to benefit the coral populations, but it's going to put a big crimp"”a very big crimp"” in the plans of anyone who wants to buy, sell, or frag stony corals. You will be able to keep your existing corals, but it may require a permit.
"It seems the Endangered Species Act could be used against its own interests, by preventing people from propagating the corals in home aquariums with no cost to the government," says Feddern.
In Need of Comments

"I am very concerned," Marshall Meyers of the Pet Industry Joint Action Council told CORAL. "So far only a handful of objections to the petition have been filed, and the deadline is April 12th. We need industry leaders and, especially, people with Ph.D.s attached to their names to make themselves heard." *(Where to Comment.)
"This could be devastating for native people in the Marshall Islands who are supplying us with maricultured corals," says Dustin Dorton, hatchery manager at Oceans Reefs & Aquaria (ORA). Dorton and others say that enforcement of the ban on collection, shipment, or sale of the 82 named corals could reach far beyond these species. They point out that many stony corals are very hard, if not impossible, to identify positively to the species level by visually examining live corals.
"Proper identification of Acropora is quite difficult," says Paul Zajiceck, aquatic biologist at the Florida Dept. of Agriculture/Aquaculture.*"The experts don't even seem to agree on how many species there are to begin with. It can be impossible to accurately pin down the species of an aquacultured specimen because its morphology can change so drastically from its wild form. This could have very negative implications for in-situ aquaculture facilities overseas."
Proving that a particular Acropora sp. coral, for example, is not one of the species listed as endangered could be extremely difficult and could entangle all species of Acropora in a maze of laws, rules, and impediments to trade and possession. Aquacultured live rock, for example, might run afoul of the law if naturally settling stony coral colonies, however small, could not be proved to be species not listed as endangered.
Feddern, who is an advisory panel member of the Coral Management Plan for the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council, is urging the marine aquarium community to "wake up and not sleep through this." He has written to NOAA and says that people who stand to lose their businesses or their rights to culture corals need to speak up forcefully. (Where to Comment.)

I'd bet this is the kind of thing Anthony will be covering at the April meeting. Only once though probably. ;)

If you read the actual article from NOAA http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/fr/fr75-6616.pdf the reasons are:

"The petition asserts that synergistic threats of ocean warming, ocean acidification, and other impacts affect these species, stating that
immediate action is needed to reduce greenhouse gas concentrations to levels
that do not jeopardize these species. The petition also asserts that the species are being affected by dredging, coastal development, coastal point source pollution, agricultural and land use practices, disease, predation, reef
fishing, aquarium trade, physical damage from boats and anchors, marine
debris, and aquatic invasive species. The petition briefly summarizes the
description, taxonomy, natural history, distribution, and status for each
petitioned species, and discusses the status of each oceanic basin's coral
reefs. It also describes current and future threats that the petitioners assert
are affecting or will affect these species.

In essence, ignore what the marine hobbiests are doing and let 'em die in nature. Of all the variables the only one we can control is the hobby part and that is where it appears they intend to screw everything up. Best way to save the corals is to have it in 10,000's+ aquariums around the world for possible reintroduction IF there would be a die off.

My .o2

Major Coral bust coming soon at the next swap!
Reef Central will have to go underground.

Good times ahead.

Major Coral bust coming soon at the next swap!
Reef Central will have to go underground.

Good times ahead.

Reef Central will basically no longer be needed if this comes to fruition.

I also think that for the sake of the hobby and for the sake of Reef Central itself that a 1 time exception of the non-political stance under the user agreement and that Reef Central gets on the front lines via an online petition. The only way the political and bureaucratic factions of the lawmakers and NOAA can even hope to understand that this is not only not good for the hobby, but will in effect turn the black market of coral into a very real threat to the coral reefs.

As it stands our fragging and trading across the country really has taken alot of pressure off of the reefs. I did a poll about wild vs captive bred corals to see a cross section of hobbyist (my peers) and it was around 95% were captive coral systems. Before I could get anywhere with it some knuckleheads started preaching the political and big brother hate malarkey and got it closed.

We are not the mindless coral buyers and killers that we used to be. The hobby has self guided itself either on purpose or by accident towards capitive bred. We need to provide proof of that. We also need a unified front of explaining who we are as hobbyist. And why an arbitrary addition of corals to the ESA 1973 is not going to do anything, but cause more wild caught and more black market trade rather than the legal capitive bred and sales that exists. It's something that as a united effort under organized, intelligent and not the big conspiracy or this politcal party is at fault. That will only get us ignored and laughed at.

My 2 cents.

Back