What's Your History in the Hobby?

I got started in 84 when my girlfriend (now wife of 34 years)and I would go to her friends house and look at the arrowanas she had.We went to get a tank(70 gal)left with a tank and stand and a wet/dry filter and a skimmer with a wooden air stone. lol I know right away it would be a salt water tank.
Soon after that I got a 35 gal.
Around mid 2005 I got a 65 gal and took the other ones down.
2023 we moved so everything is in a 25 gal until I set the 65 back up.

My first real aquarium was a 65g reef tank in the early 2000’s. Once I started looking at calcium reactors and found out Geo was my neighbor, it all expanded. Built a decent equipment room with a 240 cube that was awesome until I got the acro eating worms. I built a new house in 2007, so I broke everything down and setup a new equipment room with a 120g tank in my office right above, but with young kids I found I didn’t have the time to spend, so I tore everything down again. Now I’m getting back into the hobby with a 120 tank again without an equipment room……for now🤣

My first real aquarium was a 65g reef tank in the early 2000’s. Once I started looking at calcium reactors and found out Geo was my neighbor, it all expanded. Built a decent equipment room with a 240 cube that was awesome until I got the acro eating worms. I built a new house in 2007, so I broke everything down and setup a new equipment room with a 120g tank in my office right above, but with young kids I found I didn’t have the time to spend, so I tore everything down again. Now I’m getting back into the hobby with a 120 tank again without an equipment room……for now🤣
Can’t wait to see your build.

I miss Geo, great guy and great friend. I know he moved to Florida and bought a donut shop but lost touch. Have you kept in touch with him?

Funny, back in the old chat days, I’d always get confused because my family always called me Geo and he and I would be chatting at the same time🤣

Can’t wait to see your build.

I miss Geo, great guy and great friend. I know he moved to Florida and bought a donut shop but lost touch. Have you kept in touch with him?

Funny, back in the old chat days, I’d always get confused because my family always called me Geo and he and I would be chatting at the same time🤣
I’m in a group chat with Geo and Szwab, so we bust each other’s balls quite often🤣

My father started keeping saltwater aquariums back when he was stationed in Germany (late 60s - before I was born). In 1977 (I was age 5) my dad got tired of me always trying to “help” with his fish tanks. :rolleyes: So one day we setup a brand new 29 gallon saltwater aquarium, complete with undergravel filtration, crushed coral substrate and bleached corals for decorations. :p When we were all done he said to me, “This is yours. You will learn how to take care of it or you will lose it.” The rest is history, as they say…..

My father started keeping saltwater aquariums back when he was stationed in Germany (late 60s - before I was born). In 1977 (I was age 5) my dad got tired of me always trying to “help” with his fish tanks. :rolleyes: So one day we setup a brand new 29 gallon saltwater aquarium, complete with undergravel filtration, crushed coral substrate and bleached corals for decorations. :p When we were all done he said to me, “This is yours. You will learn how to take care of it or you will lose it.” The rest is history, as they say…..
I love those “sink or swim” kind of moments in life.

I love those “sink or swim” kind of moments in life.
My old man was retired Air Force, so he meant exactly what he said. If I hadn't learned how to do testing, water changes, tank maintenance, etc. at a very young age I probably wouldn't be in the hobby today. Plus, I had to start cutting grass to earn money to pay for my livestock. That motivates you not to see them die due to some mistake you make.

I had FW tanks from grade school forward until I moved away after high school. Piranhas, Oscars, Loaches, anglers, the usual suspects for the 80s.

In high school I convinced the biology teacher to request a 90 SW that me and 2-3 others setup and maintained for 3 years.

Once I graduated from high school I setup a 75 in an apartment I had in Myrtle Beach. I also helped maintain (the maintenance company sucked) 3 big SW aquariums at the restaurant that I worked at for 2 years. The good old wet-dry days.

I did not have a tank for several years in the mid to late 90s, but was collecting equipment and got back in when we bought a house in ~2000 or so and have had my reef setup ever since.

OH Hell NO!
Here it comes --
Parents bought me a fish tank back in the 50'S. I know you read it right!
That lasted for a few years and the hobby went away until I got married in "63.
The apartment had something like a 29 gallon freshwater set up.
2 years later we were in a house with a 55 gallon, then a 125 & African Cichlids.
5/1/77 my 220 was set up as FO saltwater, going forward along came corals, and a tank leak.
Replace the 220 with another one and kept it until we moved.
Then came the custom 250 until last year when I came home from a Kentucky wedding & caught something that knocked me down like a ton of bricks. Figured it's not fair to leave it to a woman with no interest.
So now I run a 100 gallon.
@Vinny Kreyling ......Nice read, but "...woman with no interest.".......

Still talking about your fish tank?

Back