A new start. What to do?

der_kluge

My 55 gallon tank sat in the garage for a long, long time. Probably almost 20 years, to be exact, and survived 6? moves.

The last time my tank had fish in it was 2007, I think. I had live rock, and some clownfish, and a variety of other stuff - the run-of-the-mill pet store fare, I suppose. No corals. I never bought a UV skimmer, which I suppose would have helped me. But I have a ton of equipment - lots of jets, and a protein skimmer. But yes, I admit I probably do need to get a UV skimmer.

But I guess my question is - I'd like to clean the tank, and put something in it. I'm just not sure what. I do know that the last time I had fish in this thing, I had $1,000 in it before I ever even put the first fish into it. So, I'm wondering - what are some options that are relatively less expensive, that don't require 50 lbs. of live rock to be placed in it? A mantis shrimp might be cool, or maybe some other type of predator tank? Would love to hear some ideas.

Welcome back to the hobby! First thing I would do is check the seams make sure they haven’t dried out. If that checks okay, most things still require some rock. The amount nowadays is usually determined by the individual user and not so much the former 1-2 lbs per gallon rule. Many start with dry rock and add bottled bacteria (this is generally cheaper), though I do encourage a piece or two of ocean rock, if anything for the bacterial diversity.

As for a UV Sterilizer, many run them and many still don’t. Alot of the people that run them do so for algae purpose. Protein skimmers are still in use as well though some people run them part time, others full time, and others, like me, don’t run one at all. It all depends on the nutrient uptake of the tank and how dirty the fish are. Predators tend to be messier eaters leading to higher nutrients which can cause issues if they get to high but generally you do want some nutrients in the tank.

All in all, if sticking with a fish only or species specific, already having alot of the stuff (as long as it runs) you should be able to get back into it for a couple hundred or so. Could be less if you find a local person breaking down a tank and you use their rock or lightly used goods

Welcome back. ^I couldn’t have said it better, Shane’s right on the mark.

I think I will be the opposite
I wouldn't bother to start a start without rock from the sea anymore. I want a tank with sea stuff in it. Not just a few fish.
I would absolutely start with 1-2 pounds per gallon.
Crushed coral or whatever sand you want. Avoid the really fine stuff that blows around.
You would have crabs, shrimp, worms of several types, sponges, sea stars, macro algae and who knows what else if you get lucky. I got a nice urchin once.
No cycling necessary
A simple 2 chamber sump. In the sump I would have a skimmer, return pump, 2 heaters on a controller and ATO I fed from a trashcan.
I suggest a drilled tank but I have used external overflows too.
Make a sump from a 20L with a piece of glass siliconed in for a return section for the pump and ATO
2 Chinese (I think all lights come from China anyway) Black box lights.
2 wavemakers like Hyggers or Jebaos.
RODI water filter.
Water changes weekly and later monthly would suffice based mostly on nitrate levels, Keep them under 20.
Minimal testing necessary.

The trick to this is ammonia control at the very beginning so what comes on the rock doesn't die and shipping it so it gets to you overnight in the best condition possible. Mine was shipped bagged wet by air.

Add a few fish after 3 weeks and let it run. Add a few soft corals and let them take over. Skip the fish and add a coral banded shrimp and let him be the king of the tank.

You would have stuff to look at day and night.
No more complicated stuff necessary but you could later if you wanted.

The trick to making this hobby fun is to do it for yourself and get your head out of the internet and what everyone else is doing. Put what you find interesting in the tank so you watch it every day and get a feel for your livestock, how healthy they are and what they need to live.

What @wvned said also rings true. May be a bit more expensive but is definitely another way to go

Going more along the lines of what @wvned stated as well, you could skip the 55 and go with a nano tank for a start at a cost less than $1000 if you shop around, especially with Black Friday sales going on

Lots of options now a days. I would have loved to have started with true ocean sourced live rock when I started. First six months or more would be just discovering all the hitchhikers that came with it all. Especially if you're thinking of a predator tank. You could get a free mantis in there.

I would also make sure the seals are good. Do a freshwater test first. Fill it up in a garage or outside and let it set for a week or more and look for any seam leaks. If there are it can still be salvaged. I bought my 180 knowing there was a seam leak. For $300 for the tank, stand, and canopy it was way worth it.

I redid the silicone and got some 1/4" glass cut for me at a local glass shop to reinforce the bottom seams and braced the top.

2011-10-15_17-17-03_780.jpg

I would buy a 40 gallon breeder on sale, drill it and go. I make my own stands most of the time.
The bigger you go the more it costs monthly.
I had a 55 I owned a long time, moved to another state and back.
The bottom seam let go on the front and dumped the water in the floor of the living room one day.

I don’t think they do the $1 per gallon but they do a 50% off sale which last I knew it’s running right now

That's a lot to take in... On the topic of tank readiness - that sounds like great advice. I'll make sure it's still got a good seal on it.

On buying a tank, that seems unnecessary to me. And given the huge metro area I live in, I couldn't swing a dead cat without finding someone trying to sell a used fish tank. So, buying one new seems like overkill. But hopefully the one I have is OK. It's got a custom-made stand and light kit on top that I made. Speaking of which - the light still turns on, but do these things lose their effectiveness over time? Would I need a new bulb even though the one I have still seems OK?

Yea, I definitely don't want to go all in with $1,000+ worth of live rock. I'll want to find some alternative solution here. Maybe a less is more kind of thing, like a few rocks, with a mantis shrimp and a puffer fish. Need to figure out what won't kill each other, of course.

Thanks

Agree depends on what type of light fixture.

As for puffers and mantis. Can’t say I’ve ever heard that combo. I’d imagine either the puffer would eat the mantis or vice versa, the puffer would try to eat rhe mantis and mantis would kill or injure it with its punch

Can do any mantis in a 55g. I'm not sure what a puffer would do to a mantis. I did have a G. chiragra with my yellow tail damsel for something like 10 years before the mantis died of old age. The damsel is in my main tank now. Keep the mantis well fed.

Last edited:
Back