a survey: how many zoas color morphs in your tank?

Does this make me an addict?

yes, seek help... if you send me half of your frags you will be on the road to recovery ;)

i have about ~40 different zoa morphs mixed b/w a 20g & a 15g. I am always getting new morphs, but at the same time getting rid of ones i'm not interested in anymore. so i dont really see that number increasing by much, but possibly decreasing to just the ones i consider special.

i'm afraid by having too many morphs, i'm increasing the risk of zoa chemical warfare. or a frag coming in with zoa pox, bad flatworms, something hard to erradicate that could spread like a wild fire to other zoas.

I am in the same boat about being selective and only wanting colorfuls morphs. I have gotten rid of all of my less colorful zoanthids to make some more room.

I do worry that some little disaster will ride in on some coral frag, but dipping and minimum 2 week quarantine have always helped me stay away from those things.

awesome.. you guys have great collections.. now, I think we should add a full shot photo of those zoa dominated tanks..

Marvin

Somewhere between 45-50 at the moment, with a couple more on the way.

I'm working on a grow out/quarrantine tank right now.

S

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6904010#post6904010 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hutton
sadly only 3 but i found a new store with tons of morphs!

Is this a local store to you or online? I'm always looking for colorful zoas. Do tell, do tell!

wow.. awesome.. I'm really interested to see your full tank shots to see where all these beautiful zoas are located in your tanks.. :)

Marvin

Re: a survey: how many zoas color morphs in your tank?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6900981#post6900981 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MarvinsReef
just got to thinking on how many zoas color morphs you guys have in your tanks? just curious.. :)

Marvin

It might just be me, but what exactly do you zoaheads consider color morphs? I don't know if I would consider any of my zoanthids as morphs because I really don't know what the original colony looks like.

I also don't consider it a morph if a zoa changes color under different lighting. If these corals feed off of light then you would expect their colors to change according to the spectrum they are able to absorb.

Sorry if I side tracked this thread too much but to me the term color morph is confusing. Anyone care to explain?

I think morph is a bit of a misnomer in this thread. I think they are looking for how many different colored zoas in each tank. I have some that morph on the same rock (started one color, but change to other colors, while some of the originals on the same rock stayed the same color). That gets sticky, though, in differentiation (like reticulate evolution).

That said, I have ~60 different colors, including morphs. I wouldn't call it a zoa dominated tank, though. It's more of an overstocked mixed tank (~60 different sps, 35 different lps, and three clams;)).

Back