Acanthurus tennentii in a 180

rydr119

i am almost ready to set up my new 183 gal reef. I am planning on having lots of open swimming space for my fish. I pretty much have my heart set on an Achilles tang but I am not in love with the fact that they can be so aggressive. I saw a pic of Acanthurus tennentii and I must say it was very nice. Anyone have any experience with them? Any pics of adults?

Tank mate will be:
1 Blue hippo
1 double barred rabbit fish
1 Tomato clown
1 bi-color blenny
2 Lyretail Anthias
and a flasher wrasse of some kind-I haven't decided on one just yet.

Thanks Gina

I have one in my 290 and it is definitely the more passive of the Acanthurus. It is around 5" and I have had him for almost a year. My first one was attacked by an Emperor Angel and ad a fin ripped off, which led to a secondary infection and eventually it died. They can be easily bullied by other tangs, especially from the same family. Try to get it in the 3-4" range. They are somewhat slow growers. It will do fine in a 183 for a while, but will eventually will out grow the tank. Also, you need to supplement nori about 3 times a week, they love algae. It is definitely one of my favorites in the tank.

Nice, finally a little love for the lieutenant's! lol Seems like nobody had a tennenti in their tank.

I have about a 5"one in my 180g with a 6" blue hippo, 7" Blonde Naso and 4" orange shoulder. I have never seen him pick on or get picked on by the Blonde naso or hippo but about once every 2 weeks he spends half the day chasing the orange shoulder thru the rocks and caves. They never actually fight and it almost seems like playing but when he does it, they wont even stop to eat.

Overall, i would say he definitely isnt aggressive and is pretty passive and gets along with all the other fish.
Here's a pic of mine.
181lieut0001.jpg

Very cool I like these guys a lot. I think they would make a nice addition to my future tank.
Thanks Gina

Good choice,imo!

Very nice looking fish and not one that you see every day. Other than my Blonde Naso, he definitely gets the most comments from people who see my tank.

Tennant Tang is fine....If you want an Achilles though, get him. I had one for 5+ years, they are wonderful fish and stunning as adults. Yes they are aggressive, but only to newly introduced fish for a few days and you would be unwise to do an additional Acanthurus Tang after him.

Back