Acclimating

Dean Smith

I have a Coralife 32G Biocube. Its been up and running for a few years, i had no issues cycling the tank or adding fish initially. But for the last two years its been difficult to add fish, snails and now shrimp. When adding fish i acclimate them make sure temperature and salinity are matching the tank. Can't really match pH although the local fish store has a similar pH to mine and other stores are pretty close.
Parameters are 1.025 sg, pH 7.8, temp 78 deg all are pretty constant although pH can fluctuate but i don't chase it.
I have a Molly Miller Blenny thats about 5 yrs old, an urchin, a couple of skunk clowns that have been in there about 2 months, the usual snails some newer a couple of long term residents, a pistol shrimp again about 5 yrs old, hermit crab a couple of months old.
I actually didnt add anything to the tank for about a year because i was so exasperated with the fish deaths, it seemed that none of the fish would last for more than a few days, they would appear healthy then disappear overnight. I added the skunk clowns a couple of months ago with the urchin and they are ok and doing well. So I bought a cleaner shrimp and that was going fine. I added a coris wrasse about 2 weeks ago and it was eating and doing well then disappeared overnight the second day i had it and i also noticed the cleaner shrimp was gone and I hadn't seen it since before I put the wrasse in.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why I cant seem to keep fish alive for more than a day.

I have a Coralife 32G Biocube. Its been up and running for a few years, i had no issues cycling the tank or adding fish initially. But for the last two years its been difficult to add fish, snails and now shrimp. When adding fish i acclimate them make sure temperature and salinity are matching the tank. Can't really match pH although the local fish store has a similar pH to mine and other stores are pretty close.
Parameters are 1.025 sg, pH 7.8, temp 78 deg all are pretty constant although pH can fluctuate but i don't chase it.
I have a Molly Miller Blenny thats about 5 yrs old, an urchin, a couple of skunk clowns that have been in there about 2 months, the usual snails some newer a couple of long term residents, a pistol shrimp again about 5 yrs old, hermit crab a couple of months old.
I actually didnt add anything to the tank for about a year because i was so exasperated with the fish deaths, it seemed that none of the fish would last for more than a few days, they would appear healthy then disappear overnight. I added the skunk clowns a couple of months ago with the urchin and they are ok and doing well. So I bought a cleaner shrimp and that was going fine. I added a coris wrasse about 2 weeks ago and it was eating and doing well then disappeared overnight the second day i had it and i also noticed the cleaner shrimp was gone and I hadn't seen it since before I put the wrasse in.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why I cant seem to keep fish alive for more than a day.
I'm not particularly a fish guy, but if they are in the bag for extended periods (travel from the store + drip acclimation time), ammonia can build to gill damaging levels that results in death after appearing fine at first. I think I recall some online resellers of fish saying to temp acclimate and throw them in (no drip) for just this reason.

I'm not particularly a fish guy, but if they are in the bag for extended periods (travel from the store + drip acclimation time), ammonia can build to gill damaging levels that results in death after appearing fine at first. I think I recall some online resellers of fish saying to temp acclimate and throw them in (no drip) for just this reason.
fish was in the bag for maybe 15 mins

Do you find the bodies or not ? I’m wondering if some undesirable creature living inside the rocks is eating them.

Back