Acetabularia (mermaid's cup)

activecactus

A few years ago while learning about reefs, I bought a book on the subject and at the end of the book the author shows a picture of his tank. Right in the middle of his tank he has this plant,but no where in his book does he mention it.

I did a little reserch and all I found out was, the name and that they come from mangroves of the caribbean.

Does anyone have experience keeping these plants in a reef tank? Where can I buy them? What are it's needs? How long do they live? etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

The only places I've seen it growing in any quantities has been very shallow water, only a few inches deep. From this I would infer that it requires expectionally bright lighting.

There's plenty in FL Keys.
I've tried like the dickins to grow it, I finally managed after really messing with the tank and killing other things.

It likes foul organic landen waters and higher temps. I got some to colonize some surfaces, generally the ones I did not want.

It's found in the upper meter of water, it'll grow fine at 4-5w/gal or PC lighting.

If I sent you some, it'd die in a week or two because the water is too clean for it.

It's a temporary plant only and very difficult to grow over the longer term IME.

I have not given up on it, but it's not an easy plant by any means and I have been able to actually grow it rather than keeping it alive only.

It'll appear when it's warmer in the Keys and temp plays a definite role.

It does not grow in the Mangroves much, more the shallow rocky protected sides with lots of smaller rocks and organic build up.
Generally you will find it on the leeward sides of the islands.

A nice substitute:Cymopolia.

I've found it only once in Mar near Bahia Honda beach as it washed up in the seaweeds after a storm.

It cultivates very well and it a truly beautiful plant.

Regards,
Tom Barr

I don't have my tank running yet, but as soon as I feel that the tank is established with a nice variety and good amount of organisms, I'll give it a try.

I do not plan to use a skimmer, so maybe this will aid in the plants health and overall well being.

Cymopolia...eh
I can't believe that I overlooked this stunning plant in my book.
Thats great... Now I have yet another plant that I want to try and keep.

You generally do not want to use a skimmer unless you plan on dosing KNO3 etc, that's the deal, refuges or Skimmers, each has it's benefits and minuses.

I'm a plant person so Skimmers are not on my agenda, they make good aeration devices though:)

Many folks like refuges, so called skimmerless systems.
Try feeding your skimmate to your fish sometime:)

Many like the biological balancing element with refuges and their maintank, that is a nice goal in principle that many in FW planted tanks enjoy also and pond keepers too.

A plant for every and any tank/pond/river or lake.

You will have an extremely tough time finding the Cymoploia.

Look for things that might sub for something else, there are some 800 suitable species perhaps to choose from if you can find them.

Regards,
Tom Barr

How long did the new colony of acetabularia live for?
What kind was it? calyculus,crenulata,schenckii,etc.

I plan on using a sump with a red mangrove in it aswell as some Chaetomorpha clavata or antennina.

This is a bit OT but,what kind of algae would you recommend to seed a small turf scrubber?

Back