Acrylic baffles sump, how to "glue" them in

Sparg93

Just got a used acrylic sump and i wanted to add baffles to it.

How do i "glue" these baffles in?? (first time with acrylic)

Also, where would i get the correct acrylic and do any places cut it for you??

Thanks!!!

-Craig

look under plastic in the yellow pages, you''ll find places to buy the material and glue. they will also cut it for you for $$$

use weld on #16 or #40. Since it is only baffles and not load bearing, you can probably even get away with GE silicone II

dont use silicone. it will still give way after a while. use the weldon 16 or 40. make sure you use cast acrylic.

Harbor Freight Tools sells really large "F" clamps that are perfect for reaching around the tank and clamping the baffles into place once they have been set into place)
1) "set" the baffles with acrylic cement (thin/solvent type)
2) clamp "snugly" (not tight) from both sides of tank inward
3) use Weldon #16 along all edges (as if caulking the seams)
4) unclamp the following morning and you are done!

space at least 1" between each baffle as well as from top/bottom of sump (depending if it is an upper or lower baffle)

IMPORTANT: be sure and slightly round the bottom corners of each baffle or else you risk cracking out the bottom of your tank (which is NOT perfectly square/pointed in the bottom corners) The effect is like a spear point directed into slightly rounded corners of the tank and then the acrylic shatters/chips as a result.

The "F"clamps are only about $12 each...two of them are perfect for the job.
;)

well i am shure these guys know what they are doing but i my self have a frog tank set up been running over a year all i used was a cheap tube of aquaruim silicone and its holding water tight so when i made my baffle in my sump i used the same thing but its just to hold some sand off of my pumps so its not that big of deal if it dose not hold or even water tight

Back