Sump baffle lip, waterfall?

paulg666

Hello. In my sump there is one baffle with a 1/2 inch lip on the top of it that creates a small waterfall that makes many bubbles. What is the purpose of producing bubbles in the sump? Good/bad for plants or fish? Or should I cut the lip off (siliconed on to the baffle)?
It's my first ever fish tank. 100gal with 20gal sump.
It is a tropical fresh water tank.
Thank you.

Attachments

• P1060901.JPG
    P1060901.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
What brand/make is the sump and can you provide a full picture of the sump. I don’t recall I’ve ever seen anything like that.

What brand/make is the sump and can you provide a full picture of the sump. I don’t recall I’ve ever seen anything like that.
It's not branded. Drains on the left, pump on the right. Its not setup yet as I'm trying to figure it all out. DT just has water in it for testing.

Attachments

• P1060908.JPG
    P1060908.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Did you buy it used? If so, I can understand why you don’t know the brand. Honestly, it looks like a DIY/homemade sump to me. I cannot fathom a reason for that lip.

That said, it’s been many years since I kept freshwater but, I’ve not known many people who use sumps with greasy water.

Yes, I bought it and the tank second hand. The previous owner said it was a salt water tank.
I can only assume the lip is to increase bubbles? Maybe extra oxygen? I don't know if this is good or bad.
The little I know about aquariums has all come from the internet over the last month.
Will the flow be smooth over the baffle without the lip? Maybe easy to cut off but hard to put back on.
Thanks.

Well, in a saltwater tank you want to reduce bubbles. That’s why I said I can’t understand the purpose of the lip. I’ve been keeping saltwater for over 40 years and never have known anyone to intentionally created bubbles in a sump.

That said, the baffles in the right (before the pump) should eliminate those bubbles before they get to the pump and returned to the aquarium.

So, IMO, I would leave it so as not to jeopardize the structural integrity of the sump. Especially since we don’t know who built it and what their reason for including it might be.

Well, in a saltwater tank you want to reduce bubbles. That’s why I said I can’t understand the purpose of the lip. I’ve been keeping saltwater for over 40 years and never have known anyone to intentionally created bubbles in a sump.

That said, the baffles in the right (before the pump) should eliminate those bubbles before they get to the pump and returned to the aquarium.

So, IMO, I would leave it so as not to jeopardize the structural integrity of the sump. Especially since we don’t know who built it and what their reason for including it might be.
I think the lip would be easy to remove, from the baffle, without problems as the sump appears strong. But I wouldn't remove it until I understand it. I will probably be having a sponge at the baffle before the pump that would help get rid most bubbles.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I honestly can’t say I’ve ever seen anything like that either (been at this since 2003). As mentioned, we generally try to reduce bubbles in the tank/sump. Unless it’s a newer design to hold a fleece roller or similar? But given the look of the silicon, I’m almost leaning with @griss as a possible home made sump

I'm not sure when the sump was made but I think the main tank is older, without any weirs, just 4 drilled holes on the back.

Here are some more photos. I assume the rear left is the inlet, then the sponge, then left front biological media. Heater in the narrow center area. What would be the best use of the center section (with the waterfall)? More media or is it too small for a refugium or some sort?
Thanks.

Attachments

• P1060912.JPG
    P1060912.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • P1060913.JPG
    P1060913.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
If the tank was previously saltwater, the larger center section was likely used for a protein skimmer and the heater.

It honestly looks like they were trying to create a step waterfall to prevent bubbles.

If the bubbles don't make it to the return chamber, then I wouldn't give it another thought. If you do remove it, then putting it back on place at a 45 degree angle may help mitigate the bubbles if they are getting to the pump and being pulverized into micro-bubbles in the tank.

There is a cross piece at the bottom as well. Maybe they thought they it needed reinforcement, a the water level is fixed, but the right side can drop significantly due to evaporation.

It honestly looks like they were trying to create a step waterfall to prevent bubbles.

If the bubbles don't make it to the return chamber, then I wouldn't give it another thought. If you do remove it, then putting it back on place at a 45 degree angle may help mitigate the bubbles if they are getting to the pump and being pulverized into micro-bubbles in the tank.
Damn, didn’t I see you in one of the Real Men of Genius commercials?🙂

The bubbles don’t make it far unless I turn the pump up excessively. I have been trying out putting a plastic sheet from the lip down to the water to decrease the waterfall noise and bubbles.
Thank you.

Sheets of plastic canvas for crafts make excellent water guides when water is splashing and you don't want it to.
...and that goes with what I was thinking about these extra glass lips, that they had tried to design some sort of integrated algae scrubber. The water could go as low as the baffle preceding the pump, which in it's current water depth is almost purposeless. The upper lip would make more noise, splashing and bubbles - not less, so it really doesn't make sense unless the designer simply had no clue.

Of course looking at the water pump level labels, I take most of it back lol.

Back