Acrylic fabrication questions? I can help!

LOL

I had a couple more questions. I am patching the upper seam inside and out. How smooth does the cut edge of the patch piece need to be before glueing since one of the edges will be the glued to the tank?

I am glueing a strip across the back top seam across the edge. If the edge was flame polished will this be a problem? I guess I don't really have a choice. I just wonder how well it will hold down the road. I am using 1" acrylic 4" wide across the whole back for extra stability. I'll be using Weld On 4.

James,

For a tank 54x24x24 would 1/2" material be strong enough with just using eurobracing (3.5"-4") on the top? I'd like to use 3 MH, so I'd like the top to be "open" if the 1/2" will take care of the bowing.

Thanks for all help you've provided to everyone!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13061792#post13061792 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chihuahua6
LOL

I had a couple more questions. I am patching the upper seam inside and out. How smooth does the cut edge of the patch piece need to be before glueing since one of the edges will be the glued to the tank?
Hi Amanda,
Not sure if you've already done the deed yet so FWIW; make the edge as smooth as you can but don't worry about it too terribly much. A few strokes on a sanding block will help. You just don't want any big bumps/recessions or molten spots on the piece.

I am glueing a strip across the back top seam across the edge. If the edge was flame polished will this be a problem? I guess I don't really have a choice. I just wonder how well it will hold down the road. I am using 1" acrylic 4" wide across the whole back for extra stability. I'll be using Weld On 4.
Does the strip you are gluing in have a flame polished edge or were you referring to the tank? If it is the tank, not likely to be a real issue at this point. I'd hazard a guess that the stress that the polishing induced would be well relaxed at this point making that part rather moot. If it was the strip that is flame polished - you'll know immediately.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13075131#post13075131 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mgranato
For a tank 54x24x24 would 1/2" material be strong enough with just using eurobracing (3.5"-4") on the top? I'd like to use 3 MH, so I'd like the top to be "open" if the 1/2" will take care of the bowing.
1/2" won't be enough without the crossbrace. My last tank was 60 x 24 x 24" made from 1" with 3" eurobrace & no crossbrace, it still bowed about .090" at the top so I figure 1/2" should probably have about 4X that or ~3/8" deflection, too much IMO.

HTH,
James

1/2" won't be enough without the crossbrace. My last tank was 60 x 24 x 24" made from 1" with 3" eurobrace & no crossbrace, it still bowed about .090" at the top so I figure 1/2" should probably have about 4X that or ~3/8" deflection, too much IMO.

HTH,
James [/B]

Ok, now plan B. I'll need 3 openings across the 54", what size eurobrace and crossbrace would give me a strong build?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13078964#post13078964 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mgranato
Ok, now plan B. I'll need 3 openings across the 54", what size eurobrace and crossbrace would give me a strong build?
Figure 3" eurobrace and two 4.5" crossbraces takes up 15" so the openings would be ~13 x 18".
Personally, I wouldn't do 3 top openings - the bracing simply takes up too much space but it may work for you. I'd just use either a 400w over each of 2 top openings or maybe two 150w or 250w bulbs over each. Either of these would be just fine IMO over that sized tank, but again - JMO :)

HTH,
James

James thanks for the advice. This:

59396broken_skimmer__800x600_.jpg

is now this:

59396skimmer_repair__800x600_.jpg

If I had a syringe with a smoother action the repair would have looked better but function is the main thing.

Thanks James. I've already got the 3 MH from another setup, so I guess the only "logical" solution would be to build small at the same time, LOL.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13078683#post13078683 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Acrylics
Hi Amanda,
Not sure if you've already done the deed yet so FWIW; make the edge as smooth as you can but don't worry about it too terribly much. A few strokes on a sanding block will help. You just don't want any big bumps/recessions or molten spots on the piece.

Does the strip you are gluing in have a flame polished edge or were you referring to the tank? If it is the tank, not likely to be a real issue at this point. I'd hazard a guess that the stress that the polishing induced would be well relaxed at this point making that part rather moot. If it was the strip that is flame polished - you'll know immediately.

HTH,
James

No haven't done the deed yet. I'm trying to get the husband to do it since ya know, he knows how to work with tools and stuff ; )

I was referring to the back of the tank that may be flame polished. The strip is not.

Thanks again for your help.

table saw combo

table saw combo

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13059355#post13059355 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by khoivo1
ok i am ready to try some acrylic cutting and glueing here,,but i would need to buy some tools yet,,,,
any body know a good table saw combo with router build in ,,where i can buy one?? maybe with dust collector,,??and i plan to keep it for long time,,just for hobby not big like comercial..thanks

looking to buy table saw with router attached,,but not sure brand and where to get them,,,,?? homedepot and menard don't carry combo,,,any idea??

Re: table saw combo

Re: table saw combo

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13091183#post13091183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lflint
Is it alright to use Novus on the inside of a tank before it it set up?

I have, yes, but I always give a good rinse of all tanks prior to using them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13088247#post13088247 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by khoivo1
looking to buy table saw with router attached,,but not sure brand and where to get them,,,,?? homedepot and menard don't carry combo,,,any idea??

What's your budget? As far as I've seen, most of the higher end tablesaws have material on one side to allow you to insert a router plate (or optional extensions). However, router plates vary in size from manufacture to manufacture, so it's not a standard "hole" per say. You might be able to find a table that the router directly screws to, but again the screw holes are different on many router models as well. You would loose the "lift" capabilities, which I can't imagine doing without personally.

This is the General I purchased with the table extension. I was able to insert the router plate into the white section.

04.05.2007-1.jpg

I'm getting ready to drill holes in the top of my acrylic tank to pass cords in case I ever need them. I'm planning on placing the holes about an inch away from the back wall of the tank - about five inches in from the corners (one hole on each side). The tank is 1/2" cell cast acrylic and is ~37x37x26 with a 5" eurobrace and a 15" wide external overflow. It's roughly half full right now. Is there anything I should know before doing this? I'm using a bit like this:

6078d7c9-5b3a-493d-b932-471d8618d02f_300.jpg

Woah - that is a nice saw RokleM.

Those will work nicely. I like that pretty case. ;) Mine are just in a drawer in the garage. Use the big arbor (centered in that box).

I've had good luck with the Milwaukee hole saws myself. They have a tendency to stay perfectly straight, not wobble, etc. I've had issues with a number of other brands. The last thing you want is a wobble or unbalanced spin when cutting acrylic.

Probably a dumb question, but is it possible for acrylic to be used in a plywood tank build? What adhesive would you use to form the seal between the tank and the acrylic?

ok i can get some Plexiglass Acrylic G
for cheap but not sure if that is the one you guy used to build tank,,any body know ??

Hello this is my second acrylic situation but here it is lol

I just bought a used 210 gallon aquarium 7X2X2 so i got it home and when i filled it up there is a drip leak on the seams in 2 places
it looks like the seame where the leaks are cloudy and white and "messed up" Is this even fixable

An acylic store is calling me back to see if they can fix it and how if its not fixable Do you think i could use the acrylic the tanks made of and have them make a smaller tank with it?? ANY help would be great Thanks Connor:D

Back