Acrylic thickness

Rmb0513

I need to replace the back of a 55gal tank and am not sure as to what thickness acrylic to use
I have checked out a couple of calculators an am getting 2 different answers
1/4 and 1/2 the piece will be 48" x18". I will have 3 holes 1 1/4" in diameter with an internal over flow box which will measure 36" x7"x1 1/2"
The external box measures 13" x7" x4"
Both boxes will be cemented to the acrylic
I will be building a wood frame to protect the corner seam where the acrylic and glass meet
Thanks for the replies
Randy

Glass on glass, acrylic on acrylic, the two don’t mix well at best. Why not just use glass and save yourself the trouble of ‘trying’ to frankenstein a poor design idea?

Well to make a long story short I have had it setup for two years with the 3 holes set drilled through the back of my glass when low and behold I come home from work and the back of my tank is cracked and water is all over my floor

isn't a 55 gallon tank like 100 dollars? just buy a new one. i promise you will regret trying to replace the back.

isn't a 55 gallon tank like 100 dollars? just buy a new one. i promise you will regret trying to replace the back.

agreed"¦

and the crack must have been there before the plumbing was installed"¦unless you banged the pipes somehow while you weren't home..or cracked it while installing the plumbing and didn't see it"¦or the plumbing wasn't properly supported and the weight of the water in the pipes torqued the bulkhead enough to crack the glass"¦

but as mentioned, you don't mix glass with acrylic and taking a 55 apart is not going to be worth the hassle, just buy a new tank..

Well to make a long story short I have had it setup for two years with the 3 holes set drilled through the back of my glass when low and behold I come home from work and the back of my tank is cracked and water is all over my floor

This typically can happen when the hole are not properly spaced apart from one another, close to the top or poor drilling. Over tighten bulk heads can crack the glass as well. You'll end up with water on the floor with your current idea.

Back