ADA 60 P Filtration / Canopy Questions

IndianaDunes

I want to jump into this hobby and I'm liking the ADA 60 P for a first attempt. Talking with folks at a shop here, I wondered if filtration would be handled or overkill by using AquaC Nano Remora, PhosBan Reactor 150, and C-Balance two part. Rather than use Remora on back, I could go Tunze9002 inside so it's not too intense on skimming. I planned to use half PhosBan, half HydroCarbon2 in the reactor, though to go lighter, maybe Purigen and ChemiPure would be better? I emailed ADA about the glass top, so hopefully that allows filters on the tank back somehow. For lighting, AI Sol or ATI look good. I'd like to start with live sand/rock then Bluespot Jawfish, McCosker Flasher Wrasse, Blue Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Electric Orange hermit, Blue Leg hermit, Birds Nest coral, a Euphylia, possible Ricordea, done.

Last edited:
Hello IndianaDunes!

First off Welcome to RC.

The ADA 60P is a great display tank, I have several ;).

For filtration I think that the Tunze 9002 is a great option. A good friend of mine ran one of these units on this tank for several months with great results.

The AI fixture is what I am going to run over a new 60P for myself. I currently am running a Maxspect G2 over a 60P and the coverage is great.

Also, the stock list you have is too large. I would not recommend a jawfish for this size system. I have a McCoskers Flasher in my current 60P and he is doing wonderfully.

Good Luck

~Michael

Good Info

Good Info

Thanks for the Jawfish info. The Tunze looks like a great option, the main difference being it'll be in the tank vs. hanging backside. May be better that way as to avoid too much weight on a back or side of 60 P. I'm hoping the AI LED lighting is as good as ATI T5. The new 20k LED capabilty from AI seems to be able to handle a wide array of needs. I liked the store 14k and 20k more than lower k values. AI LED less heat and smaller size is cool. What's your take on the chem / mech filter? Stay small with Purigen/Chemipure in PhosBan 150 reactor or do Two Fishies (larger amounts of) media?

I have personally used the ATI Sunpower and ATI Powermodule and I can say that they are good lights, not great. The fans are extremely cheap and have a bad habit of failing (IME). The reflectors are good and when paired with high quality T5 bulbs these fixtures are very nice. I would like to try the new dimmable powermodule ;).

I have also used many types of LEDs (Solaris, Maxspect, ELOS, LeDio, Etc.) and I can say that I love the everything about them except for the fact that I have a hard time photographing a tank lit with them. They mess with my camera....
Also note that it is VERY easy to stun and bleach corals when using LED lighting, this is due to the fact that visually many LEDs are not as bright as say a MH, but the PAR readings will surprise you.

I have always used carbon and purigen. But now there are studies showing carbon leads to Lateral Line Disease and such.

I would not run a chem filter all of the time. Have a filter ready that you can throw on and run for a while and then remove. Just test your water parameters and run the filter accordingly.

~Michael

General Chem Full Time?

General Chem Full Time?

Not even PhosBan FO full time? Chemipure Elite is mostly GAC? For this smaller 60 P tank, one concern was something heavy on the back, but a small CPR aqua fuge would be nice / more natural using a RDP setup and some macro algae. I'm trying to remember from reading, I think the RDP fuge schedule was good to oxygenate the water while also timing CO2 balance with daytime main tank needs. A fuge setup would be good possibly to: 1) avoid too much chem 2) oxygenate the water and 3) chew up some CO2. Skimmer should help oxygenate the water too, but one guy at the aquarium store warned against skimming too much, thus the Tunze 9002 vs. Remora thought. Depending on the water drop details into the fuge, could have some good oxygen flowing there too - problem is, the fuge seems too heavy to put on the ADA 60 P. I can look for smaller fuges asap. I'm on Sprung Vol 3 water flow chapter so lighting is coming up, I need to read those details to watch out for LED things you mentioned.

Back