Adding new clowns to existing Mixed reef

afish70

I have a 90 gallon mixed reef that has been running for about 18 months. I had a pair of clowns in there from after the cycle ended. 1 of the clowns passed away a few months ago so now i only have 1 in the tank. He has a cleaner shrimp, a One Spot Fox face and a Bangdai Cardinal as tankmates. About 5 weeks ago i purchased (2) little clowns and they have been in quarantine since purchase. They are going to be ready for the display tank this weekend. My question is the existing clown is larger than both of the new ones combined. Will it be ok to introduce the new clowns to the display with the existing one in it or should i introduce them all in the QT tank i have set up? i was thinking i would have to get rid of the existing clown because it may be mean ti the (2) new little ones. What should I do? i like all of the clowns but i do not want to see the (2) new little ones get hurt. Let me know your thoughts.

I had this happen to me. Your only option is to either get rid of the existing clown and add the new pair, or only add 1 of the new smaller clowns. The existing clown will be mean at first, but they should pair up eventually, which the larger clown being female and the smaller clown being male.

Having 3 clowns in the tank will not end up well at all.

I had this happen to me. Your only option is to either get rid of the existing clown and add the new pair, or only add 1 of the new smaller clowns. The existing clown will be mean at first, but they should pair up eventually, which the larger clown being female and the smaller clown being male.

Having 3 clowns in the tank will not end up well at all.

Exactly what he said ^^

Yep, exactly.

Back