Adding other trace elements to 2 part?

ScottyDon't

Is it possible to add kent trace elements products (strontium,coralvite, essential elements) in to the calcium or alkalinity mixes?

Without knowing exactly what is in them, I can't say. I dont' generally recommend adding such materials at all, but if you do, and if you want to try it in the two part, try it in the calcium part. If you see any solids form, don't go that route.

Would it be good? I don't think Randy necessarily thinks that trace elements are even needed with regular water changes. If you test for them I guess it's ok but I wouldn't add them to the mix. I don't add them either until I see a study done that has any benefit to them. When I do, I will.

Strontium, molybdem, magnesium and a whole bunch of other trace elements found in seawater according to KENT. If such trace elements are being depleted then water changes aren't going to keep up (unless you are changing A LOT of water very often). I am quite lazy with water changes and thought I was covering all bases by using these products.

Randy, assuming zero water changes, wouldn't there be many trace elements normally present in NSW depleted from not being supplied through any of your 3 DIY additives?

That's why we do water changes. Trace elements that you listed are in the salt we provide in our water changes. Usually in proportion to NSW.

Kent can say all they want, but unless you want to get test kits for all those trace elements, then I think adding unknown quantities of these elements is potentially dangerous to your tank if not, totally unnecessary.

I suppose if you are, as you say, lazy, and don't want to do water changes, that's your choice.

I prefer water changes. The fewer chemical additions the better for my fishies. :)

As far as Randy's 3 part, It does three things and three things only. It suppliments calcium, alkaliniy and magnesium. Period. Nothing more, nothing less. He has provided us with an inexpensive way of keeping the 3 most important elements up in our systems.

Trace elements......... I'd leave that to the salt.... JMO :D

Actually isn't it strontium that is in the dow cacl too? I think I saw Randy mention something about that in a post today or yesterday.

Strontium, molybdem, magnesium and a whole bunch of other trace elements found in seawater according to KENT.

I know what they list, but they do not list everything in it, nor say how much, nor say anything about the counter ions. That is why I cannot say whether it is mixable with the calcium part or not.

If such trace elements are being depleted then water changes aren't going to keep up (unless you are changing A LOT of water very often). I am quite lazy with water changes and thought I was covering all bases by using these products.

How do you know that? Aside from reading sales literature from companies that sell such products? Real studies have show plenty of many of them (perhaps not all) in aquaria that do not supplement them. I've not added anything except foods, water changes, iron, and silica for many years. :)

Check these resources:

Ron Shimek's Tank Water Analysis Article
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/rs/feature/index.htm

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

Reef Aquaria with Low Soluble Metals
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rhf/feature/index.htm

FWIW, I do not doubt that one or more things in such a cocktail are desirable. But I think it equally likely that one or more is already too high, and adding more may be detrimental. On balance there is little data showing the benefit of adding such trace element cocktails, and since every brand is different and most ingredients are secrets, aquarists do not even know what they are getting or whether results with one have any relationship to results with another.

Randy, assuming zero water changes, wouldn't there be many trace elements normally present in NSW depleted from not being supplied through any of your 3 DIY additives?

There are many 'impurities' in all of the ingredients that essentially are "trace elements". Potassium, for example, while not a trace element (but rather a major element) is present at quite high concentrations in the Dowflake, just about right to keep it balanced. :)

Back