Advice on 150 gallon Fish only start up

cabowabo

Hi all,

It's good to be back as I got the enevitable itch to get back into the salt water fish hobby. It's been about 12 years since I have been in and it was a reef set up. I am looking for advice on the equipment to choose to set up a 150 gallon tank specifically for fish only. I will not be adding any invertebrates at all. (Been there done that :) Much has changed and there are many more options. My goals are keep it simple, cost effective and take a less is more approach which I know is unpopular but some of the healthiest fish only tanks Ive had in past were set up that way. When I say less is more I mean in the amount of equipment, not the essential basics such as water changes, water chemistry and proper cycling. Those are the cornerstones of successful fish only regardless of equipment. Below is my plan on set up.
I will be using a large sump that I already have.
UV Sterilizer
Large skimmer
Life rock
Some real live rock

Questions are:
1. Advice/experience on the pump I should get? ( I want inside sump, not external) Looking at apex, or Sicce Syncra. Goal here is to have just enough turnover for proper filtration, including flow through UV sterilizer. I intend to have a lot of water movement but will mostly come from power heads. Also need quiet pump.
2. UV sterilizer recommendations, is 25 watt sufficient?
3. Bubble magus vs Reef Octopus skimmer, any significant difference?
4. Is there an LED lighting option appropriate for fish only that gives the shimmer of metal halide, but is not overly intense for my needs?
5. Is there anything I am not considering that I should be?

Thank you very much for any responses. It is good to have that excitment back of planning a new marine ecosystem.

Best,
Mike

While I can’t help with return pump (I run a Jebao) and haven’t had issues, others may be able to chime in here.

I also don’t run a UV but my understanding is the proper flow rate more than wattage

For skimmers, I’ve only used Reef Octopus and have no complaints.

For lighting, I love my smat farm LED. Gives nice shimmer and I would say can meet your needs (good for reef too if you need to)

1. Advice/experience on the pump I should get? ( I want inside sump, not external) Looking at apex, or Sicce Syncra. Goal here is to have just enough turnover for proper filtration, including flow through UV sterilizer. I intend to have a lot of water movement but will mostly come from power heads. Also need quiet pump.
2. UV sterilizer recommendations, is 25 watt sufficient?
3. Bubble magus vs Reef Octopus skimmer, any significant difference?
4. Is there an LED lighting option appropriate for fish only that gives the shimmer of metal halide, but is not overly intense for my needs?
5. Is there anything I am not considering that I should be?
You'll need to determine what turnover you want. 2-3 times maybe? I have syncra 1.0 and it's completely silent so I definitely recommend those. Maybe the 1.5 or 2.0 is sufficent but you also need to determine what UV and what flow it needs. Aqua UV classic 25w says 400 gph for saltwater. Personally I would give it it's own pump.

Kessil is the king of LED shimmer but are pricey. Having said that maybe a couple lower wattage units like the A160 would do what you want. Pretty much anything with a point source tight led cluster will give you the effect, such as the reefbreeders nano led but not sure on the depth penetration. You could also just use halides and never really worry about changing the bulbs...

Back