Advice on new fish for tank

grtmmt

Hi to all, I have a 155 gallon bowfront, I do have some mixture of corals. Getting there slowly. My question is that I would really like to add another large fish. I currently have 3 paj cardinals, 1 scotter blenny, 1 midas blenny, 1 firefish, 1 candy hog fish, 1 six line wrasse, 1 exqiste wrasse, 2 clowns and 1- 4 1/2 inch yellow tang, who is aggressive. Whatever I get I assume will need to be larger than the yellow tang, would really like an angel fish. Any ideas?

Wow, that is a lot of fish in your system. What is your total volume for the system.... is it 155 or is that just the show tank. Most of the Angels will possibly nip at your corals, including the dwarf. If you do decide to add another fish ( personally I wouldn't ) you might try rearranging the rock work while the same time acclimating the new fish to the tank. Possibly to confuse the tang into thinking it has entered into a new territory and it isn't top dog anymore. I did this with a nasty huge domino damsel I had back in the day.

Tracey

Wondering what type of coral you are keeping? Certain fish are fine with some corals but will destroy others.

I might be a little out of line but most of your fish are not large at all when reaching adult size with exception of the Yellow Tang. We are not talking a 75 gallon tank here so not sure why everyone is jumping on you about the amount of fish. Sure there would be an issue if there were a couple larger angels, trigger, or tangs but I just don't see it with what you have stocked. As long as you have a sump, skimmer and the normal things like that you shouldn't have a problem adding one of the smaller angels. That is just my opinion however so if I am over ruled so be it. :spin2:

Last edited:
Wondering what type of coral you are keeping? Certain fish are fine with some corals but will destroy others.

I might be a little out of line but most of your fish are not large at all when reaching adult size with exception of the Yellow Tang. We are not talking a 75 gallon tank here so not sure why everyone is jumping on you about the amount of fish. Sure there would be an issue if there were a couple larger angels, trigger, or tangs but I just don't see if with what you have stocked. As long as you have a sump, skimmer and the normal things like that you shouldn't have a problem adding one of the smaller angels. That is just my opinion however so if I am over ruled so be it. :spin2:

I agree, I don't think you're overstocked at all, but an angel may prove problematic with your coral selection.

i also dont see an over stock problem but i agree the coral selection more often sps corals and sponges are eaten by small angels.

My system has 2 sumps, one houses a refugium it is 30 gallons and the main sump with my protein skimmer is 30 gallons, total volume is around 210ish....

On angels, I have been researching them and have been told that with some it is really hit and miss and depends on the fish, the one in particular I have focused on is a majestic angel.

Genicanthus which would make for a medium sized fish.

Pygmy angel like a flame would be a nice addition as well.

I am slowly adding fish to my 155 bowfront as well

fish in 155 bowfront

fish in 155 bowfront

What kind of fish to you currently have in your tank? What are thinking about adding?

Virgatus Rabbitfish (6"), Magnificent Foxface (2"), Flame Angel, pair of Ocellaris Clownfish, two dime sized PJ cardinals.

Planning on adding on a a few Anthias down the road, and some colorful Chromis. As far as corals I don't have very many (planning on moving towards the end of the year). Perhaps another tang or two (this is up in the air).

I don'tthink you are overstocked. Your problem may be that your yellow tang is aggressive just because a fish is larger does not mean that it will be able to be handle being bullied by a yellow tang. I know that angels are very hit or miss. I have a pygmy cherub angel it is dark purple with a yellow face.He does not bother any corals but like to stay wihin the rock work he does not cruise the tank kind of darts in and out of the rocks. This fsh also maxes out at 2 inches.

Back