advice on new skimmer purchase...

jfeva0049

Hi fellow reefers,

I am looking for advice and or any input you may be able to provide to help me make the best choice possible. My current skimmer pump is having issues and I am looking into getting a new skimmer. I want to get away from the space saver type. It is harder to clean which means I clean it less and then in-turn have pump issues down the road.

My current set up is a 90 Gal with about 30 gal sump. I have a current Aquamaxx with a shark 2.0 pump.

The skimmers that I am looking close at right now are the Reef Octopus Regal 150 with varios dc pump or their older Sro-2000 with bubble blaster pump.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/super-reef-octopus-sro-2000int-6-in-sump-protein-skimmer.html

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/regal-150int-6-internal-protein-skimmer-varios-reef-octopus.html

I know asking which skimmer is like asking who has the best looking wife, but I am just looking for input to make the best choice i can.

I am open to other models too but seem to be leaning to one of these. I am just tired of having pump issues every few years.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, cheers.

Jason

IMO both of those skimmers are overkill for a tank of your size regardless of "bio-load" (which you didn't state or hint at either which can help provide a proper recommendation)

Have you looked at Bubble Magus skimmers? I am VERY happy with mine and know many others who are too.. I have the Curve 5 on an 80G/40G sump.
Roughly half price of what you are looking at too..

IMO both of those skimmers are overkill for a tank of your size regardless of "bio-load" (which you didn't state or hint at either which can help provide a proper recommendation)

Have you looked at Bubble Magus skimmers? I am VERY happy with mine and know many others who are too.. I have the Curve 5 on an 80G/40G sump.
Roughly half price of what you are looking at too..

Your right, I forgot to state bio load. Right now its prob a medium load but would not mind increasing that or at least having the flexibility to grow in the future.

In regards to size, i thought both would be sized right... being as they state 100 heavy load but I know that ratings always lean to being over rated vs under rated. I hope that all makes sense.

I have a curve 5 also on a 90g and very quiet, works great. 9 months old, no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just pulled the trigger on the RO Regal 150. I thought it was a great deal. For $370 to my door, I dont think I will be disappointed. At least I hope not, lol.

Anyone have this skimmer??? I would love to hear your tips and tricks, and or experience with it.

Thanks for your time.

Back