Age old question 250 watt or 400 watt

Age old question 250 watt or 400 watt

• 250 watt radiums 20k

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • 400 watt radiums 20k

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
From what I understand, you can use the m80 ballasts but you will probably need starters as well..

Yeah, care to elaborate on this? M80 pulse start ballasts are what the Radium was designed to run on, as it is a euro spec ballast.

Sorry.. Could be wrong.. Was asking a buddy who knows more than I do about my lighting..
I asked him to elaborate..
I'll clarify soon..

Apparently the older giesemann units used a Voshlo digital starter..
Maybe they don't anymore..
Sorry, should have kept my mouth shut! :spin2:

I used to run 400W but changed to 250W

But I like the XM 10K with a hint of blue like vho

3x250W XM 10K + 1 x 110w VHO Blue

color2.jpg

color1.jpg

Best growth, color and coverage I ever had was when I had a pair of 400 watt single end radiums in stealth reflectors over a 36inch long 70 gallon tank. I let a friend talk me into LEDs and it never looked as good.

250's are plenty to fry just about anything in a 24" deep tank if you are using a fixture such as the Hamilton Cebu. When I installed mine I set it at 7 hours of MH. I'm down to 4 hours per day after roasting a number of acros. If you're planning a ULNS system and run filter socks, for that diamond clear water, 400's will reduce your acros to ashes.

I went through the 250/400 debate when choosing lighting for my 180. 2 Radiums on M80 ballasts will be plenty of light with a lumenarc-style reflector. I have 3 on my 180 and have SPS and a clam on the bottom of the 24" tank with no problem.

OK so... M80 ballasts arnt going to be in stock until February 2016.... So I either buy the m135 and run 400 watters or wait.... I don't wait well

Why not get some select a watt electronic ballasts with the 'hqi' setting which over drives the bulbs? Won't this give you essentially the same thing?

Why not get some select a watt electronic ballasts with the 'hqi' setting which over drives the bulbs? Won't this give you essentially the same thing?

The m80 with the pulsestart was designed to run the radiums. Plus I really like Dave at Hamilton haha

I think reflectors has everything to do with it I'm running the lumenbright large on a 30 inch deep 150 and It puts 250par on the bottom glass with good spread and between 4 and 420 anywhere mid tank about 6 inches from the surface 600par!! I went with lumatek select a
watt ballast just in case I ever wanted to give 400 a go but I have no intentions after seeing what 250 s can do. I might also add I don't run a chiller the lumen brights are designed to run 16 inches off the surface given me plenty of room to reach into the tank.During the summer months I have an 8 inch fan that blows across the surface my tank will run around 80 degrees in the summer about 76 in the winter with no fan. If you're planning on running an enclosed canopy I can almost guarantee you will need a chiller.

Last edited:
Hamilton is in the US.. You can't find the m80s in Canada?
I know, you like Dave at Hamilton! Ok I hear ya..

I think reflectors has everything to do with it I'm running the lumenbright large on a 30 inch deep 150 and It puts 250par on the bottom glass with good spread and between 4 and 420 anywhere mid tank about 6 inches from the surface 600par!! I went with lumatek select a
watt ballast just in case I ever wanted to give 400 a go but I have no intentions after seeing what 250 s can do. I might also add I don't run a chiller the lumen brights are designed to run 16 inches off the surface given me plenty of room to reach into the tank and during the summer months I have an 8 inch fan that blows across the surface my tank will run around 80 degrees in the summer about 76 in the winter with no fan. If you're planning on running an enclosed canopy I can almost guarantee you will need a chiller.

It will be run in a 48" giesemann spectra. I'm not sure if that matters

Hamilton is in the US.. You can't find the m80s in Canada?
I know, you like Dave at Hamilton! Ok I hear ya..

Did anyone know where I can get them in Canada? I live on the border so it doesn't matter

Looks similar to the Hamilton fixture cebu sun I have a friend running one on a 120 with factory ballast 250 watt magnetic not the m 80 and it does a fantastic job .

Looks similar to the Hamilton fixture cebu sun I have a friend running one on a 120 with factory ballast 250 watt magnetic not the m 80 and it does a fantastic job .

Don't run a 250w Radium on an M58 ballast. Ever. You can run it on an M80, S50, or any electronic ballast (although one with HQI or super lumens is best).

Back