aiptasia problem

MSherman

I just elimitated two small aiptasia in my 75 gal.tank that I have inherted and have had for about 9 months now. I used boiling vinegar. I started looking for others and found a forest of them in my overflow and don't know how to get them out.
I can't get to them in there with a syringe of vinegar because it is too tight in there with the pipe to the sump and the return plumbing to the tank. I was thinking fo buying a peppermint shrimp but if I do I would be sacraficing him to 'the tank' because I don't think I would ever be able to get him out.
Any ideas?

This is very touchy as you don't have much space in there. As well my first thought was a peppermint shrimp but as you said you'll have to sacrificed him.

That said it doesn't mean that the pepper will stay there and not going to do the ride down the pipes.

What happens if you cover up your overflow and there is no light for the Aptesia? You might kill it - just an idea.

Not exactly sure what your overflow looks like, but I would shut off the return pump. Then let all of the water drain from overflow into your sump. Remove the pipe to the sump and the return pipe. The overflow should now be empty. Cover the two holes in the bottom of overflow to prevent any aptesia from falling into the sump. Now, completely clean the inside of the over flow. You probably don't even need vinegar. Just wipe them away with a paper towel. Just make sure you get it completely clean and don't leave any bits and pieces for them to regenerate later.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it turns out.

Brad

Back