air bubbles in silicone seam

bladze

My fish tank, the silicone, there are some air bubbles developing in the silicone seam. The tank is made by Oceanic. You think it is safe to use?

Thanks.

oceanic should warranty the tank if there was a problem. I would give them a call and inform them of your concerns. That way if a problem should arise in the future, then they would be aware of it early.

I agree with Dan.

Let Oceanic know.

I was up at a LFS and was checking out the new Oceanic tech series tanks. A couple of them had some serious bubbles in the silicone. I was VERY suprised. Is your tank a tech series model?

Jim

This was our old tank, and if I recall, those bubbles have been there since we had the tank set up, 2+ years ago. Since we never let the tank set dry, between when we stopped using it and it was picked up, that should have helped maintain the integrity of the silicone seams. We know how larger tanks don't always do well when left to sit dry for extended periods of time. That was why we took the extra effort to keep it wet/filled (to about 80%, about an inch below the bottom of the overflow). So I am not sure of how much concern they would be, but it doesn't hurt at all to contact the tank manufacturer about it.

I'll contact them on Monday. I always have it filled with water since the day I took it home.

Sparkss if it's already there 2 years ago so I would assume it is safe. Thanks for all the inputs..

I am pretty sure I remember what you are talking about, but it has been a while since I saw it empty (and clean :)). I am 90% sure that what you are talking about was there when we bought it, but it is still best to contact the tank builder directly :)

Back