Alan's 180g Reef

hahhha, you are going through what I am going through. U always get that itch to start over and do another a tank, getting there is half the fun huh
i saw this tank up in person in chicago it is sweet. you think the t5 will cover that depth?

hahhha, you are going through what I am going through. U always get that itch to start over and do another a tank, getting there is half the fun huh
i saw this tank up in person in chicago it is sweet. you think the t5 will cover that depth?
I think so. I prefer a 24" tall tank, but 27" is the way they make them. Low light corals are going on the bottom and I have been considering maybe 1/2-1" more sand than I have in my tank now, so I don't think the extra 3" is going to matter much.

Got the GFO today over lunch. I did a quick phosphate test before I put in the new GFO, 0.11 on the photometer. I was a little bit surprised that it had gone down that much. I left the existing GFO in there and added another media bag with 2 1/2 cups.

Sat @ 7:30pm: 0.52
Sat @ 10:30pm: 0.44
Sun @ 10:30am: 0.32
Sun @ 6pm: 0.27
Sun @ 11pm: 0.18
Mon @ 7am: 0.16
Mon @ 6pm: 0.18
Thurs @ 12pm: 0.11

:beer:

Don't forget pics! It will be fun to look over the transition progress when you get your TOTM!

yay! make sure you trick out your fish room with lots of big equipments to make it look cool like some of the other TOTM winners. You need a big skimmer and a couple of oversized reactors. Did i forgot to mention that regular water changes is a must :)

Decided to bleach a 5g bucket of rock last night. I'm soaking it overnight in a 10:1 bleach/water ratio and will see what it's like today. If things go ok, then I plan on bleaching the rest of the rock as it gets transferred into the stock tank system.

Also, moved a bunch of corals over to the stock tank last night. I've been making a frag of the coral, dipping it, transferring it over, and then moving the colony over a few days later if the frag looks good. I have it broken down so there is only about 1/3 of the display rock in place.

If you are taking the time to bleach the rocks, how about a short term stay in muriatic acid to remove deposited po4 and open up the pores again? I've got a gallon at the house - a little goes a LOOOOONNNG way.

Completely safe!

If you are taking the time to bleach the rocks, how about a short term stay in muriatic acid to remove deposited po4 and open up the pores again? I've got a gallon at the house - a little goes a LOOOOONNNG way.

Completely safe!
I've considered it. I have no need for removing bound phosphates from the rock, as my PO4 levels are still very low.

hmm what are you going to do with all the frags :)
I'm starting to run out of room on the 300g stock tank's eggcrate rack. I might need to add another rack in there temporarily until the new display is up. I'm planning on keeping the main colony in the display, a backup in the sump, and then any extra frags after that will be for sale or trade. I've already made a few accidental frags :spin2:

Alan went to reefstock in Denver this weekend, but I wouldn't put it past him that he already got it up before he left! lol

Back