Algae dilema

ssavader

THe algae in my reef tank is thriving and the macroalgae in my refugium is dying!My tank is 232 gallons and about 8 months old. I have the full battery of filtration equipment including a refugium with Red Ogo macroalgae. I have had a disturbing bloom of brown stringy algae covered in oxygen bubbles while concurrently, the macroalgae in my refugium is fading quickly. The refugium is lit by a Kessel refugium light and the tank is lit by 5 Radions operating at 50% intensity.

My parameters are : Ca- 400, Mg- 1320, Alk 10.8, N03- 0, and P04- 0 , sg 1.025

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

From what you describe, it sounds like you've got dinoflagellates. I believe they are currently outcompeting your refugium macro algae for nutrients. Zero Nitrate and Phosphate suggest the dinos have sucked them up, and there's nothing left for the Ogo.

To turn the tide, you need to favor the macros, while attacking the dinos. UV sterilization has proven effective for many dinos, so consider adding it. Manual removal is also very effective because you are removing both the dinos and the 'food' they need. An army of pods and snails helps. I'd add another, faster-growing macro as well to help outcompete the dinos for nutrients. Ulva is what I recommend because it grows insanely fast and is easily removed.

Dinos are not beaten overnight. It takes months, so you need a long term strategy. You wear them down until they're on the ropes, then you hit them with a final knock-out blow. For me it was a 4 day blackout followed by a large water change. But I did a lot of work before that point to get them worn down.

Hope this helps!

That is a great idea, Michael. After perusing through my book on marine algae, I was pretty convinced that it was dinoflagellates as well. Your proposed plan make sense. Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

Happy to help, Scott! Dinos are challenging but not unbeatable. Since there are about 1000 dino species, there's lots of conflicting info on them. I just treat them like a nuisance algae and focus on the basics: predation, competition and food reduction.

Good luck!

Back