Algae ID and Suggestions

Hello,

I have the following Algae in my tank and I am not sure how to get rid of it or what it is?

I have had many tanks and have never had success after algae takes over the rocks at eliminating it. What would you suggest to get rid of this algae and get this tank back on track. I can remove the rock.

This tank has no clean up crew, no fish, just a filter sock.

UV? Hydrogen dose? Obviously a clean up crew and pods? A Refugium?

This is an innovative marine 10 g with a Tuna Blue light.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjsbdawcoab7dln/img_9730.jpg?dl=0

Thanks in advanced

Is the algae brown? I don't see any green, but no fish or corals---you can put a blank over it for 2 weeks, will knock out any photosynthesis.

It sounds like you are open to suggestions, which is good. This gives you lots of options. I'd suggest a re-do, since it's only ten gallons. Start by thoroughly scrubbing your rocks and rinsing your sand.

Lets look at the basics of algae management: light, nutrients, predation and competition.

Light: Pretty much a constant, but in the formative stages (cycling), leave the light off for the first two months. This allows the nitrifying bacteria to established without competition from algae-associated bacteria. This will go a long way in preventing problem algae to get established, as well as keeping it at bay down the road.

Nutrients: Keep them low, but not zero. Less feeding, more water changes, and nutrient absorption media can all help. Nutrient export is vital, so skimmers and water changes are helpful. But, the highest concentration of nutrients is right there in the algae, so manual removal is king. Do it on a regular schedule.

Predation: A clean up crew can work wonders, if done well. You want critters that reproduce, so their numbers can rise to meet the need. My favorite reproducing snail is the tiny Strombus Grazer, sold by Indo-Pacific sea Farms (ipsf.com), which also sell several other great crew members. Nerite and Cerith Snails also reproduce in aquariums. Pods are great algae eaters as well, and they reproduce. Fighting Conches and Sea Cucumbers are great for sand bed cleanup, but your tank is way too small for them. They starve in small tanks. Most herbivorous fish are too big as well. But Mollies would work well. An hour or two of drip acclimation and they're ready to be salt water fish. Don't feed them at all and they will chow down on algae. I've even witnessed them eating cyano bacteria! Plus they are prolific live bearers, so they have the added value of turning algae into feeder fish. If you don't want babies, don't get males and females. They're easily sexed.

Competition: This is important. You want to keep a macro algae or two, to compete for nutrients. Ideally you'd have a fast-growing green, like Ulva, and a slower growing red, like Botriocladia (red grapes). Ulva can respond quickly to nutrient spikes and red grapes can keep a steady pace with steady nutrient levels.

So, I'd restart the tank and follow these suggestions. Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestions. I am debating leaving the hobby. Not sure I have it in me to start over, even though that probably is the best option.

I will try this liquid cleaner that you suggested.

Get some of those snails that you recommended. Maybe setup a Cheato refug.
Maybe get some PODs.

I really need a seed of coraline algae too.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will take all of it into consideration.

Back