Algae id help

juliersavage

Could someone please help me identify? Just getting phosphates down. Tank is about 8 months old. as well as my experience. Clean up crew doesn't seem very interested.
Tuxedo
Long spine
Halloween
Astria
Turbos

Phos .17
Alk 7.9
Mag 1500
Cal 460
PH 8.1
Nitrate 5
Temp 76.5
Sal 1.025

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240402_024902_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_024902_Gallery.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240402_024911_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_024911_Gallery.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240402_024938_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_024938_Gallery.jpg
    725.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240402_024855_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_024855_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
One of many 'turf' algaes. I'm surprised the urchins don't go after it since your tank doesn't have much else algaewise. Is it strongly embedded in the rock or does it scrape off? It probably will need some manual removal and making it shorter might attract the urchins. Vacuum as you remove it so you don't spread it around the tank. Tanks looks good!

One of many 'turf' algaes. I'm surprised the urchins don't go after it since your tank doesn't have much else algaewise. Is it strongly embedded in the rock or does it scrape off? It probably will need some manual removal and making it shorter might attract the urchins. Vacuum as you remove it so you don't spread it around the tank. Tanks looks good!
Yes it's very difficult to get any of it out! Ugh this sounds like a fun task in my near future...

I agree with Sean, the tank looks great. I actually like a little bit of algae in my tank. I've been a diver since the mid 1980s and a little algae, IMO, looks more natural than a tank without.

I agree with Sean, the tank looks great. I actually like a little bit of algae in my tank. I've been a diver since the mid 1980s and a little algae, IMO, looks more natural than a tank without.

I like it until it starts to grow around my zoas, lol

Thanks, I have worked really hard on it and studied a lot. SO MUCH TO LEARN.
I don't mind the algae so much ( I dont want anyone to go hungry) as long as I can sustain a manageable state. Was hoping to get a positive ID on it in case it starts adversely affecting corals or numbers?
Ahhh, a fellow diver. Yes, that's what got me into this as well. Attempting to keep a tiny ocean in your house makes you realize what an amazing system the ocean truly is.

Haha! Right!

I finally pulled some of my larger rocks from the tank this weekend and gave them a toothbrush scrubbing in a bowl of revive. They responded very very well to it but i was happy to have my wife help me try to manually pull a bunch of algae from around the zoas. I suffered a tank crash from cyano a couple years ago and so she and I are both very much paranoid about things looking "off" in the early stages....

Agreed a little algae is natural, creates food for herbivores, creates biodiversity so less chance of dinos. etc.

I think this sterile environment people go for just creates more problems.

Last edited:
I think this sterile environment people go for just creates more problems.

I'm still seeking that happy medium. my wife and I are trying to lean natural solutions as much as possible but we have lost corals before due to too much inaction on our part, and a bloom taking over while we were on a trip. So when I start to see the hair growing into my zoas I get a bit more proactive.

Back