Algae ID

ErosJN

I found this stuff today crossing 60 from CW to Tampa... my tangs have been going crazy for it non stop.. just wondering if anyone can ID it, and if its a more nutritional source in comparison to the typical algae sheets we feed.
f96475738b576c18bc598e00dcba4939.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Im not much help but looks like some type of fern macro algae to me. Im no expert tho lol

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! Reef, I think you nailed it. I did a google search and thats exactly what it is. It was growing everywhere by the rocks so i grabbed several hand fulls. What would be the best way to preserve it for feedings? I was thinking freezing it in a zip loc?

Thanks guys! Reef, I think you nailed it. I did a google search and thats exactly what it is. It was growing everywhere by the rocks so i grabbed several hand fulls. What would be the best way to preserve it for feedings? I was thinking freezing it in a zip loc?

That's a funny question to me just because I've always seen this stuff growing and never thought to grab it and bring it home. I used to work in the building on the corner right before going over the bridge and on N Rocky Point Dr. and I would often have my lunch on the sea wall. Tons of this ulva as well as tons of conchs, all depending on the season of course.

I've never tried keeping it but I've heard of people growing it in their refugium. Maybe you could try drying it out and keeping it in a ziploc? Like they do with Nori.

Back