Algae/Invert Refugium

zimpok

Greetings Eric,

I am currently in the process of setting up a 55 gallon reef. I am wishing to connect a 20 long into a circulating water system with the 55. I wish to turn the 20 gallon tank into an algae refugium. I intend the refugium to act as a biological filter, and as a haven for live food. If you don't mind, would you please bless me with your knowledge.

- What would the best way to connect the two tanks together? They both are on stands and the 20 is lower than the 55.

- What species of algae would be good? What species of algae would be bad?

- How would I go about creating a chiliated iron schedule for the algae? Is the iron nessessary?

- I was thinking of stocking the tank Mysis sp and Gammarus sp. Would these animals good choice for such a tank? If so, how would I go about feeding these critters?

- I was also thinking of buying starter cultures of worms, and copepods. How do these sound in such a tank?

Thank you very much for you time.

P.S. I constantly am using your books for their valuable information. Plus I love your articles on food for the reef. Especially the one on Particulate Organic Matter.

- What would the best way to connect the two tanks together? They both are on stands and the 20 is lower than the 55.

overflows from one to the other with a pump going back to the 55?

- What species of algae would be good? What species of algae would be bad?

go to inland aquatics.com. I'd avoid Laurencia and Caulerpa, offhand.

- How would I go about creating a chiliated iron schedule for the algae? Is the iron nessessary?

Probably not necessary, and why chelated? If you use brown algae, you may need iodine. Iron might help if some don;t do well you could try - but I have a feeling you'll get big growth of microalgae instead.

- I was thinking of stocking the tank Mysis sp and Gammarus sp. Would these animals good choice for such a tank? If so, how would I go about feeding these critters?

Gammarus are freshwater. Mysids would be great....reduce or eliminate skimming ot increase small partiulates for Mysids and other small crustaceans.

- I was also thinking of buying starter cultures of worms, and copepods. How do these sound in such a tank?

great. If the sand and rock used are high quality, may not need a started culture, though..try some of the aquacutured stuff.

Thank you very much for you time.

P.S. I constantly am using your books for their valuable information. Plus I love your articles on food for the reef. Especially the one on Particulate Organic Matter.

why thanks!

Back