algae problem

odin5738

What is this algae and how do I get rid of it? I have a lot of snails but, can't get rid of it. Any suggestions?
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6154 (2).jpg
    IMG_6154 (2).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
There are many kinds of dinos, unfortunately. This has led to many conflicting treatments. One that seems to work with most is UV.

Besides that, I just treated it like algae. Manual removal, nutrient competition with fast-growing Ulva macro algae, predation with pods, snails and acclimated mollies, and water changes and food reduction to lower nutrients.

There are lots of successful dino stories out there in here at RC. I read all I could and took notes on things I thought could help. Then I planned a long-term strategy and implemented it. They don't go away easily or quickly, so plan for an extended war.

Last edited:
I have a 57 watt UV for my pond. Would that be a problem to use on a 90 gal tank? It's over kill but I could run it while trying to eliminate the dinos. I have a decent sized refugium. How much ulva would you recommend getting started? I'm going to try your strategy and do a 4 day black out also. How does the black out effect sps and lps corals?

That UV could work. The trick is to get the flow rate through it dialed. Slower is better for higher kill rate. One order of Ulva should do. Put high in very bright light and it will grow exponentially. It's also easy to remove. Blackouts help but it comes back. I like blackouts better for cyano. I know very little about corals but I think other reefers have done blackouts without killing their corals. Good luck!

Yes I have. I learned about it I a thread "œmy battle with GHA"
I tried to post the link here but it wouldn't let me. Just click on my name and you can find post in that tread. It wasn't my thread and personally it was way above my head so maybe not the beat reading but I do have before and after pics of my tank
My thing was at about 2 1/2 years on my 350gal system I developed a bad algae problem with perfect perimeters so I was confused. I tried it all. And I mean ALL of it until someone said try vibrant. I was desperate and just need a edge in the battle. I was concerned because I keep Acros. Well. Within 1
Month you would have never guessed I had a algae problem. It's been over a year now and I only dose every few month just to clean the sump up a little but really don't need it anymore
You should know if you do use it you will get some cyno in your sand bed. This is really easy to clean up between water changes. Once you get rid of the algae you can wing off the vibrant and have zero algae problem. You will want to identify what is cause if the problem currently? Old bulbs. Over feeding. Bad flow. Not enouoh water changes or it will just come back
You should also know if you have a fuge in place the vibrate may knock half of it out a d it will make you skimmer go crazy. All worth wining the battle though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm about 2 years in with this tank. I've been confused myself because all my parameters have been stable almost the entire time. It's not a huge problem but, super annoying. The dino's haven't taken over yet. I've been looking for a solution for a couple months. I'll give it a shot and cut back on feeding.

Back