algea

Adictedtoswf

Why do I have all these Stingy-algea with bubbles all over the tank? Parameter seems to be ok. I started seing more and more since I start using the water from Wal-mart.

Any idea?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11330085#post11330085 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TekCat
is it a new tank? are you using distilled water from Wally's?

The tank is set up since July. And yes, I got the water from the filling station at Wal-mart.

Have you tested that water with a TDS meter? If not, I would really suggest doing so. I would also test the water for any phosphate. Do you have live rock and sand in the tank as well?

I wouldn't trust Wallys filling station. Like jsr said, check TDS. Since you're buying water then get DISTILLED kind in a gallon jars.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11330373#post11330373 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jsr
Have you tested that water with a TDS meter? If not, I would really suggest doing so. I would also test the water for any phosphate. Do you have live rock and sand in the tank as well?

i don't have a TDS meter. I took my water to the LFS and they say everything is normal. I do have lr and cc in the tank.

How much flow do you have? Is it red or green? Sounds like the way cyano goes when it has loads of flow on it which is just part ofa new tank!

What LFS did you take it to? If it is cyano algae, kill the lights for three days. Your corals will be fine. If it is hair algae, it's a phosphate/nitrate thing. Have you topped off with tap water? One time will do it. The water here is loaded with silicates. Do a water change, reduce your photo period, these usually do it. How long are your lights on during the day? Do you have a pic? If not, gimme a call, I'll come by.

Joe#1

Back