All glass aquarium cracked on bottom

Tdskate01

There’s about a ft long crack that looks like it was started by a rock falling. The inside crack is rough, and the crack follows through to the drilled sump holes. Any idea if I’m able to support the bottom of the tank with a piece of plywood, and can seal a new place of glass over the crack to prevent leaking? It’s a 280 gallon.

Thank youBC99E6A1-33CB-46F2-80B9-A81B55B21B27.jpeg0E1B5F14-E523-44C2-9942-3719AD015040.jpeg

Uncle99

Crab Free Zone
Premium Member
Compromised. Integrity issue there.
Can you fix, sure, will it hold…….maybe.
Cant be trusted, it’s not 20g, it’s 280g.
If it fails, damage would be extensive.
Sorry, I would not sleep well on that.

kfisc

Agreed- it's very tough to accept, but I'd say that tank is history. You might try sealing it by any number of the typical rigged methods, letting it stand with water for a month or so (in a safe place) and see what happens, but even then- a week, a month, a year- not a risk I would take.

Tdskate01

I suppose I was just hoping that because it is a bottom pane crack that an extra piece of plywood or 2 would be able to sustain any pressure on the cracked glass on the base level, and that by sealing a second piece of glass over it, it would prevent leaks. But you are right - scary to think about it not working. Maybe someone in the local Arizona area will have a better idea of how to do a full replacement on the piece of glass.