All In One or build from scratch

Desert-ReeferII

Looking for advise

I have been thinking about getting a Finnex 30gal All In One with the 250 watt lighting $599

But I'm sure others would tell me I could build one for a lot less, so I start looking and stop as soon as I see that a comparable light will cost aproxamently $400

If I were to build from scratch these might be the compontents that I might want.

1. 40gal tank 36x18x17 drilled and plummed into a 55gal sump/refugium below inside a DIY stand.
2. 36" Metal Hadline with 24W x x2 T5 Ho Fluoresent and LED moon light
3. Skimmer (not sure what brand)
4. Retun Pumps
Finnex 30gal with 250W light $599

If the all in one has everthing you need and the price is good then go for it. Building it from scratch lets you pick and choose. Though it may cost a little more, quality will be higher overall.

Why would you want to have a 40gal tank and a 55gal sump??? I would want to have it the other way around. A 30gal sump would be good on a 55gal tank.

Also what are you planning on keeping in the tank? If you are planning fish only the MH wouldnt be necessary. Before you plan on buying anything plan on what you are going to have in the tank. If you are going to do corals then stronger lighting would be needed. But if you are doing fish only with live rock you dont need that strong of lighting. Ive been doing alot of reading on skimmers and most people say to go for the Octopus needle wheel skimmers. They are good and are in the lower price range. Try to get a skimmer that is rated double your gal size.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10455529#post10455529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by carlosngloria
Why would you want to have a 40gal tank and a 55gal sump??? I would want to have it the other way around. A 30gal sump would be good on a 55gal tank.

I just like the visual dimensions of the 40

It also has to do with the custom stand that I can see in the back of my mind. That might look a little like this but a smaller scale and not to the ceiling.
968255451_8d417805fd.jpg

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10455584#post10455584 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by carlosngloria
Also what are you planning on keeping in the tank? If you are planning fish only the MH wouldnt be necessary. Before you plan on buying anything plan on what you are going to have in the tank. If you are going to do corals then stronger lighting would be needed. But if you are doing fish only with live rock you dont need that strong of lighting. Ive been doing alot of reading on skimmers and most people say to go for the Octopus needle wheel skimmers. They are good and are in the lower price range. Try to get a skimmer that is rated double your gal size.

Here is a photo of what my dream tank might look like.

969053118_d221603e36.jpg

First:

[welcome]

I have seen these setups and they are pretty nice IMO. I agree the dimensions on the 40 are nicer than the 55 (Do not like the 55 for reef tanks myself)

At $600 they are a bit pricey (I think you can spend the same money and build something a bit nicer) but it sure takes a lot of the hassle out of coming up with a nice setup.

Back