Allison's 55-gallon Invert Haven

AGWL

Hi all! I've been a successful freshwater tanker for years and currently have a 20g long where I breed freshwater dwarf shrimp and mystery snails.

In November, a friend gifted me with a 25g cube AIO that she could no longer care for, complete with 1 live rock, a tomato clown, a banded coral shrimp, a small leather toadstool coral, and a handful of hermits and snails. It was in atrocious shape, so I immediately got to work cleaning it up. Partner asked me if that was the size tank I wanted (he knew I'd always wanted a reef tank) and so we upgraded into a 55g. Yes, I know, the foot print of the 55 isn't great, but given space and financials, that's what we landed on.
Currently running a Fluval 307 canister (no space for a sump), a Reef Octopus HOB BH90 skimmer (that's gone wonky on me, grrr, and I'm frustrated), 2 hipargero 100-watt lights, 2 heaters with an inkbird, and two wave makers to create a circular flow.

Inhabitants currently include: Tomato Clownfish, Banded Coral Shrimp, a pitho crab, a handful of mithrax crabs, hermits galore, a variety of snails including a new conch who is just the coolest thing ever (those eyes!), a sand sifting star, a coco worm and a feather duster (why are those considered different things?). I've also added some macro algae. My corals include a zoa, two leather toadstools, two small candy canes, a gorgonian (that hasn't bounced back from shipping yet), a galaxea, and a sympodium. Oh and a tuxedo urchin, who is currently wearing a rogue suction cup as a hat.

I am truly a lover of the inverts. Fish are cool, but, I dunno, I just love the inverts. I will probably add some more fish at some point, but not sure what yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9131 copy.jpg
    IMG_9131 copy.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9137.jpg
    IMG_9137.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
Thank you, John and griss! I'm loving it! Just need to get a cyan bloom tamped down and figure out WTH is going on with the skimmer. I'm getting more rocks in the next couple of weeks and should have all that finalized so I can get the corals placed where they need to go.

That's George's expertise 😀
Ummm, I’m still fighting it😉. All those years without a Cyano issue and now I can’t get rid of it.

@AGWL try starting here 120 gallon Cyanobacteria Treatment Bundle - Dr.Tim's

That cleared it up for me, but it came back after a couple weeks. Probably because I started out with part dry, part live rock and the tanks been up for 6 years with times of not such good maintenance. I think my rock/sand is leaching PO4.

This is why saltwater is personally my favorite over freshwater. Inverts inverts and more inverts. I could have 3 or 4 different invert only tanks and you could make them all different but extremely interesting.

Is your Coral banded shrimp aggressive? I have always been a bit nervous to get one but I’m looking at getting back in the hobby and I love those.

This is why saltwater is personally my favorite over freshwater. Inverts inverts and more inverts. I could have 3 or 4 different invert only tanks and you could make them all different but extremely interesting.

Is your Coral banded shrimp aggressive? I have always been a bit nervous to get one but I’m looking at getting back in the hobby and I love those.
He came with the tank; I've named him Antonio. He's not overly aggressive, but he gets a bit nippy if someone interrupts his eating time (usually the clownfish). Mostly he just stays on his rock, with occasional walkabouts at night.

I was all excited to get other kinds of shrimp, but I've read that he would very likely kill other shrimp, so that's a no-go for now. He's awesome, though, and loves to come and beg for food as soon as he sees my bulb syringe.

If you like inverts, have you ever looked into freshwater dwarf shrimp? They are so much fun!

Attachments

• IMG_9127.jpg
    IMG_9127.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 30
He came with the tank; I've named him Antonio. He's not overly aggressive, but he gets a bit nippy if someone interrupts his eating time (usually the clownfish). Mostly he just stays on his rock, with occasional walkabouts at night.

I was all excited to get other kinds of shrimp, but I've read that he would very likely kill other shrimp, so that's a no-go for now. He's awesome, though, and loves to come and beg for food as soon as he sees my bulb syringe.

If you like inverts, have you ever looked into freshwater dwarf shrimp? They are so much fun!
I have heard freshwater shrimp are fun! But nobody has ever told me why they are fun exactly lol. Can you tell me a little about them is it their personality?

I have heard freshwater shrimp are fun! But nobody has ever told me why they are fun exactly lol. Can you tell me a little about them is it their personality?
Okay, so...Maintenance is super duper easy. Once the tank is established, I rarely have to feed them as they eat biofilm and algae. Seriously, I can go months without actually feeding them and they do fine (I fed them today to take the picture). Also, because they eat algae and biofilm, I don't have to do much tank maintenance, either. I add water when the level starts to get low, check for TDS (which need to be high-ish) and add some minerals if I need to. I run multiple sponge filters in all my shrimp tanks and since the shrimp feed off the filters, I never have to change or clean them. They don't destroy plants. Depending on what type you get (I'm partial to neocaridinas) they breed like crazy. They're a lot of fun to watch, although I wouldn't say they have a lot of personality as such. They just go about their business and don't cause any problems. Very calming and peaceful.

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Okay, so...Maintenance is super duper easy. Once the tank is established, I rarely have to feed them as they eat biofilm and algae. Seriously, I can go months without actually feeding them and they do fine (I fed them today to take the picture). Also, because they eat algae and biofilm, I don't have to do much tank maintenance, either. I add water when the level starts to get low, check for TDS (which need to be high-ish) and add some minerals if I need to. I run multiple sponge filters in all my shrimp tanks and since the shrimp feed off the filters, I never have to change or clean them. They don't destroy plants. Depending on what type you get (I'm partial to neocaridinas) they breed like crazy. They're a lot of fun to watch, although I wouldn't say they have a lot of personality as such. They just go about their business and don't cause any problems. Very calming and peaceful.
Omg they’re so cute, wow I didn’t know all that

So, it’s been a while since I’ve posted. I have, as I so often do, gotten partway into a hobby and realized I should have done things differently from the beginning.

I have a 55g. It’s fine.

I want a bigger one, now.

My stand can hold a 75g. My protein skimmer and lights should all transfer fine.

But…. I use a Fluval 307 canister filter. It’s only rated up to 70 gallons. Is a 5-gallon difference worth worrying about? Will it just mean more frequent maintenance?

Tanks are on sale right now and if I don’t have to replace the filter, I should be good to go (albeit with a lot of eye-rolling from my husband).

Thanks! Here’s a picture of my absolutely massive Emerald Crab, Brad.
IMG_1644.jpeg

I use a Fluval 307 canister filter. It’s only rated up to 70 gallons. Is a 5-gallon difference worth worrying about? Will it just mean more frequent maintenance?
It's fully cycled so just use it for now and maybe up the maintenance as you suggested. Then myself, down the road I would just add another 307 or similar and then you can alternate cleanings.

Back