Anchoring frags with zoas

MayoBoy

Movin' on Up
When I get a larger (top heavy) frag such as a leather (or anything else attached to a rock), I like to put some zoas around it so the matting will anchor everything in place. Is that asking for trouble down the line? Could the zoas end up killing the coral as they reach higher up the rock?

And a related question, will a goniopora and zoas get into it if the goni occasionaly brushes against the zoas?

TIA

Could work. A leather will most likely shade the zoas out and kill them.
Epoxy is a more humane and less expensive route.;)

The zoas should be fine with the Gonipora, but something bad is likely to result from it.

Re: Anchoring frags with zoas

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6932436#post6932436 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MayoBoy
And a related question, will a goniopora and zoas get into it if the goni occasionaly brushes against the zoas?
I doubt the goni will "occasionally" brush the zoas. Either it will keep its polyps a little more retracted away from the zoas, like 1/2" inch, or it will keep a couple of polyps extended toward the zoas to purposely brush them. What the outcome will be probably depends on the species of zoas and goni. Either the zoas will keep advancing and the goni will slowly retract away from them on that side, or the zoas will advance up the outer reach of the goni tentacles and stop about 1/2" inch away without coming any closer.

Back