Android App - development updates

HeneryH

Henery Hawk
Next update to the Android App is ready for testing. This new version removes the limitation on having unique and non-blank outlet names. Not really a feature release but I get regular postings and emails from people getting hung up by this scenario.

It now requires FW at least as new as 4.05 or it will ask you to update and close. It also only supports the Apex, not the ACiii. We will fork off a copy of the current version for the ACiii users and make a new app in the Market. It would be just too difficult to move forward while maintaining compatibility with the older Apex firmware and the ACiii.

If you would like to test this new version, PM me and let me know. I hope to avoid the debacle that happened with the last update.

As usual, try to let the old thread die and keep comments here.

Thanks.

Joe, I greatly admire your willingness to go to these lengths, but I must say that the blank or duplicate outlet name issue is not something I feel you should be compelled to accommodate.... Apex owners simply should NOT be using blank or duplicates... period. There are adverse ramifications of doing this within the Apex itself. In fact, I fear that because you make it OK to do so within your app, people who read this thread might think it's fine to do as a normal practice. IMO, using blank and/or duplicated outlet (or profile) names constitutes Apex misconfiguration and user error.

Also, instead or forking out to separate apps (which sounds like a lot of extra work), you could just use the XML version <version> tag to differentiate between controller families; I'm using it in Reeftronics code to not only differentiate between families, but also between specific models within the 2 families. Then, use conditionals to handle the different families/models as needed within the same code base. If you are interested, PM me and I'll give you more details.</version>

I agree that blanks and dups are not a good idea but the reality of the matter is that no matter how many times I disclose that, I get several emails/postings per week with people saying that the app does not work. Invariably, when they send me their XML status I find that there are blanks/dups.

It is easier for me to just fix it so that the app works if that condition is encountered.

Yes, I should have had better error handling, but at this point it is just as easy to make a change to allow it as to insert the proper error handling.

On the separate app, again, from a practical point of view, putting a bunch of
Code:
if(apex) {
  method 1 using deviceID as the key;
} else {
  method 2 using name as the key;
}
is harder than just going straight with method 1 and leaving the current app as is for the aciii users.

I'm really just looking for the easiest way to move on from here. Sounds like I am going above and beyond for some users but in reality I am just looking out for me :)

If I can prevent 4 emails per week on this, it will make my life easier.

I have the Android App for Apex.it was working great then it updated and now it will open but it is froozen and will not move.then i get Activity Apex (in applcation Apex) is not responding.them i get the application Apex process org.dvrec.apex has stopped unexpectediy.i don't know how to fix this.i have Android 2.2.1
Thanks
Chris

I have the Android App for Apex.it was working great then it updated and now it will open but it is froozen and will not move.then i get Activity Apex (in applcation Apex) is not responding.them i get the application Apex process org.dvrec.apex has stopped unexpectediy.i don't know how to fix this.i have Android 2.2.1
Thanks
Chris
Chris, please PM me the output of your XML status. You can get that from the main web page control screen via your computer. The XML menu will show the XML status. Copy and paste that into a PM to me. We'll get through it.

sent PM Thanks for your Help
Duplicate outlet names for the Koralia outlets. Try changing them to Koralia_L and Koralia_R or something like that. I never pushed the latest update with a change to allow duplicate names to the Market because it would strand the ACiii users until I push a separate app for them.

That helped a lot i still get Activity Apex (in applcation Apex) is not responding.sometimes but it not everytime.i can live with it. Thanks for your Help

I've gotten feedback that when the database gets large the app slows down a lot. Could you try deleting the widget and reinserting it (clears the database) and see if performance gets better?

Henery, not sure if this has been covered before or not (AC3 standard for controller and 2.3.4 for Android). The widgets for my 2 controllers work fine for a period of time, but after a couple days they stop updating the widget. I can still touch the widget and get tank status though.

Not sure if this is partly due to the fact that I use wi-fi at home and therefore end up with long periods of time where the IP address is not able to be resolved to update the widget maybe? I have the widget set to refresh every 5 min as I like to have fairly current info listed when I check it. Also, not sure why, but turning the phone off with the power button and then back on seems to fix the issue and it will begin updating again for a few hours to few days again before the issue returns.

Thanks,

Nate

There is just so much to do... One of my to-do items is making two IP addresses so that when you are on a specific WiFi net (ie your home net) then use 192.168.1.50, otherwise use public.facing.com.

I'm working the UI update now to refresh the look and feel as well as make it tablet friendly. Not that there are many Android tablets out there :)

I would have to do some error checking to see if there are any problems that jump out to me.

Also, your going to 5 mins reminds me that cleaning up the database is on my to-do list as well.

Sorry I don't have more info for you at the moment.

Nate, I see the problem in the code. I leak a system resource whenever there is a network connection failure. Once an app leaks too many resources it will fail until restarted. By going to 5 mins and being on a router that doesn't recognize external addresses when on wifi (common problem but many routers can handle it) you will hit this problem sooner than others.

I'll get this fix in the next release.

Nate, I see the problem in the code. I leak a system resource whenever there is a network connection failure. Once an app leaks too many resources it will fail until restarted. By going to 5 mins and being on a router that doesn't recognize external addresses when on wifi (common problem but many routers can handle it) you will hit this problem sooner than others.

I'll get this fix in the next release.

Cool, thanks Henery. Wish I knew something about coding for these phones so I could help. Haven't made a donation yet either...just have to get finances recovered now that things are settling down at home again. Tank has suffered lately too...wife in the hospital seems to do that. :sad2:

Next version has:
  • Bug fixes
  • New look/feel based on dashboard sample code from google.
    iosched.png
  • Tablet support

Looking for test volunteers. Looking for ICS and tablet users in particular. I should have an app ready to share by the Thu.

PM me if you are willing to try some beta code.

Wish i had my asus transformer prime in. Just waiting for funds to clear. LOL Good luck with the app!
Thanks Henry.

Next version has:
  • Bug fixes
  • New look/feel based on dashboard sample code from google.
  • Tablet support

Looking for test volunteers. Looking for ICS and tablet users in particular. I should have an app ready to share by the Thu.

PM me if you are willing to try some beta code.
I'm not able to post a PM for some reason...

I have to admit that I don't use your Android app on my phone (Droid X), mainly because the screen is too small for the kind of data I'd like to see.

I have the original ASUS Transformer tablet as well, however, and I'd be happy to help you test your new version on it.

Ricordia

Sorry for the delay, the sample/template code I used for the tablet version was a bit more complex than I thought. When I first started the migration there were 10 steps backwards for every 1 step forward. I am making more steady progress now that I more fully understand the sample code.

I hoped to have it ready for testing late last week. I got the main status screen showing and allowing updates when you select the first dashboard icon. I haven't yet got the graphs moved over to the new version yet.

I'll see what I can get migrated over tonight.

I captured contact info for those that offered to test and will get a version out to them as soon as possible.

Back