Angel fish same genus

CrayolaViolence

Is it possible for angel fish of the same genus to live together? I am hearing conflicting information. I really had my heart set on a majestic, but I already have an emperor who is an adult. I've read that you can't have two of the same genus together, yet i've seen the same genus together with no problem (just not two emperors, or two majestic, but both were pomacanthus).
My emperor is very docile, if not a bit of a wimp really. He was in QT with a gold rim, a clown, and a damsel and hid from all three. Now he's been in his own tank for a while a very long 150 gallon (7 foot total length) and has been quite happy although still quick to hide. I got him as an adult, and he is on the very small side, about 5-6 inches. I plan on housing a few butterflies with him, but wanted one other angel fish, specifically the majestic. However I don't want to risk fighting. I will probably have my look down tank done by the time I'm ready to introduce a majestic so I could always remove it and house it with the puffer I plan on getting, but if the odds are highly against them getting along I don't want to risk stressing him. He's spoiled rotten, is hand fed, and gets whatever he wants pretty much. I planned on making sure the majestic would be very young and small to start with so there would be no question which one was boss. BUT...like I said....

Anyhow, thanks for any input.

the biggest problem that I see is you said that your majestic is docile. that's because he is the only one in the tank that he has had the run of for quite sometime. Now you introduce the new fish of the same genus and you will see it get territorial and fight. With that being said it may only last a couple of days and then things will settle down, or he could kill the new fish. I have had it both ways.

I have an emperor not a majestic. It's the majestic I'd like to add. And yes my emperor is docile, and he has been with other fish. Just not other pomacanthus.

I think it's possible, but not in a 150 gallon. If you were to do it, I would take out the Emperor, add the Majestic letting it get establish and then re-introduce the Emperor. I am almost sure that the Emperor will not be docile anymore if you add that Majestic.

Back