Another build idea thread

lvpd186

Reefing in NE
Ok, I'm considering a new tank! My brother has a pallet of 1" acrylic, or at least enough for a tank, and he says if I come up with a design he will build it for me. One requirement though is I want the tank on the main level; my current tank is in the basement and it doest get a lot of viewing time. My house is a mullet-level house so I think my best option is my living room. Basically the living room is three steps up from the front door, there is a large bay window, a nice place to sit, and since the stairs to the upstairs are there, there is a lot of traffic through the room. Another plus is I think I have a good space for a tank. There is a partial wall in-between the stairs to the living room and the upstairs stairs. The wall is 71 1/2" wide (minus 2 1/2" for the bottom two stairs so the space is actually 69" wide). The wall goes up 71" and there is a recess area. A nice plus to this area is I can plumb the sump in the basement so all the equipment can be in a dedicated fish area! So I'm looking for ideas for a good tank size, keeping in mind the wife will not let me go nuts and take up the whole room. I'm thinking maybe having a 38" deep tank or so would be sweet, but I'm open to suggestions so let's hear'um! :bounce3:

Just playing around with numbers but a tank 67" X 38" X 28" (LxWxH) Would be just over 300g. Any thoughts?

Reef tank? FOWLR? Species only? Anything in particular you want to keep, Brad? I wish my sibling had a pallet full of acrylic laying around, and would build me a tank!

Reef tank? FOWLR? Species only? Anything in particular you want to keep, Brad? I wish my sibling had a pallet full of acrylic laying around, and would build me a tank!

I'm thinking reef tank. Since this will replace my current 120 I'm sure even if I stared it as a fowlr it would end up being a reef tank after awhile anyway. I'm a lucky guy though, Dave can make a sweet tank & since his next tank will require thicker stock (not sure what he is planning) I'm looking at a low cost tank!

I'm thinking reef tank. Since this will replace my current 120 I'm sure even if I stared it as a fowlr it would end up being a reef tank after awhile anyway.

Well, i guess it just depends how you want to light it, then. 60" would be easy, and you wouldn't have to stagger any bulbs if you're planning on keeping the T5s. I guess I would make it as big as I had room for, especially if construction cost is basically $0.

I'm a lucky guy though, Dave can make a sweet tank & since his next tank will require thicker stock (not sure what he is planning) I'm looking at a low cost tank!

Sounds like it's going to be big, if 1" isn't thick enough.

Is it going to be an inwall? I cant picture where your talking about, but recall you mentioning the space. I've been hoping all my peer pressure would goat you into a bigger tank :). Its also much easier to convince the wife when your not dropping big bucks on a new tank. I like the demensions, the extra depth is sweet. Do you plan to upgrade skimmer and lighting or use what you have and not change fish load.

It won't be inwall but considering the space it might seem like it since it will end up taking the entire space. I will probably keep most of the same equipment, my skimmer is rated for somewhere around 500g I think so I should be good there. Your mission now Jim is to keep Kathy thinking it is a good idea :lolspin: if possible.

Sweet!
I've never been over to your place, so hard to visualize the layout. I agree that you should make it as big as you can fit in there for depth and length. Especially if your tank costs are minimal. The dimensions you listed are very close to the 300 DD tanks and you will definitely like the extra depth. Having it upstairs will be nice too.

I wish my sibling had a pallet full of acrylic laying around, and would build me a tank!

+1, you definitely need to take advantage of this one!

Would it be possible to post some pics of the space you are thinking of? I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Sounds like fun :bounce3:

Re: Another build idea thread

Here is the space.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 4
Back