Another Clam Question

vishboy

I was wondering if there is a "preferable" sand for clams. I have 2mm "gravel" in the tank, but I could buy some aragonite or live sand. And would the clam benefit from having aragonite in the tank (continuous buffering of alk and calcium)?

Thanks,
Vishboy

imo clams don't have a preference for any type of sand. aragonite will not buffer the water. the ph of the water would have to be below 7 before the aragonite would dissolve.

also some tridacnas are rock dwellers and others are sand,,,if a Crocea or Maima,,,it wont like sandy feet~

But they don't mind being the sand? I have seen some really good looking Croceas in the sand, and it didn't look like they minded it.

IMO the placement of a clam depends on the lighting you have. Croceas are the most light demanding of all the clams, so depending on the depth of the tank and what lighting you have the clam may be fine on the sand or it may need to be moved up in the rock work. if you do decide to keep it on the sand i would suggest placing a small rock under the clam so it can attach its byssal threads to it and not the bottom glass. then if in time you do need to move the clam it will be very easy.

250 watt SE MH. 10K right now, but am planning to go to 12K once it is time to replace the bulb. It is over a tank 18'' deep.

that lighting should be fine for you to place the clam just about anywhere you want. if the clam starts to stick its mantle out really far or starts losing color/browning you will need to move it up closer to the light.

Croceas and Maximas are the most light demanding

then i would say Gigas,then Derasa and Squamosa.

some people will call the last 3 "low light clams" but i think that is very misleading. they still have a high light demand but seem to be more tolerant of lower light conditions.

I have to agree with you mbbuna. My gigas and squamosa don't mind being in the bottom, and have grown very quickly. My gigas is probably 12" now. The other 9 clams are doing well to

Back