Any ideas on how to lower the level on my Eshopps Reef Sump?

Texanjordan

I have an Eshopps Reef Sump 30, it is 36 inches long. It has a baffle built in which puts the water level too high for the recommended height for my Super Reef Octopus Skimmer. I cant lower the water level because it wont be high enough to go over the baffle and into the return chamber. I currently have my skimmer sitting on a box I made using egg crate and zip ties. I want to buy an Reef Octopus automatic neck cleaner, but because of the egg crate box my skimmer cup is almost directly under my tank, with about .5 inches to spare. Is there any way to modify the sump to allow a lower water level? is there a way to do this without drilling a hole in the baffle?

I had the same exact problem. I had to saw down the baffles. I was forced down this route because I couldn't take out the sump. If you can take it out, I'd get something different or build your own. If you decide to push the baffles down, you'd be creating more problems than you'd be solving. It would also be more expensive. If you do get a different one, remember to get it extra wide, you don't want that pump hitting a side and making lots of noise. A regular tank won't do 12" wide tank won't do. Another issue is being able to take out that Skimmer over the wall of whichever one you get.

Cut teeth in the baffle? The water can't go under it. The water level in that chamber is set by the height of that baffle. Giving the water a lower place to flow out us the only practical way to acheive a different water level. I am sure you could come up with something like an hob overflow box to hang on the baffle, but that seems pretty unreliable and inneficient. Time to cut it. :)

Last edited:
I'd get a 30 or a 40 breeder for $50. Put in a few baffles to get the 6" depth required for that skimmer, and still have plenty of space for a refugium. Instead of cutting a $230 dollar sump.

I drilled a 1 1/2" hole towards the bottom of the baffle and used a Uniseal bulkhead with a short PVC pipe that goes to an elbow and then to a vertical pipe that you can cut to the height that you need. It is quiet if you have the right size for the flow and you don't need to clean baffles anymore.

Back