Any Water Flow Studies of Powerheads in Monster Tanks (850 to 1,000 Gallons)?

Hello to the group,

I’m trying to research water flow and current dynamics produced by powerheads in large monster tanks between 850 and 1,000 gallons. So far, I’ve only found some minor references on YouTube videos and a wee bit in print.

I’m planning on a tank either 14’ or 16’ long, 36” high and 30” or 36” wide. This will be a FOWLR tank (Triggers and a couple of Eels) with a live sand bottom. I would really like to have a fast current section that could be used for exercise and wave action heads for a long successive rolling waves on the surface down the 14’ or 16’ length.

Are there any references by manufacturers or other companies/universities with actual studies, or computer based modelling available? I’m not finding much, but I may not be looking in the right place.

So, how do those of you with larger tanks manipulate the current/flow to achieve your desired goals? Did you use colourants to position the heads? I’ve thought about using a dye when the tank is filled and leak tested, but that will dissipate quickly and not be very useful for successive flow experiments.

Computer based modelling seems like the answer, but I’m drawing a blank thus far trying to find anything that might help. I’ve also checked various manufacturers websites for more detailed flow information on their powerheads, but I’ve not found anything helpful as yet.

Any assistance would be appreciated if you’ve done this, or know of more detailed studies on water flow with larger tanks.

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

Last edited:
These aren’t scientific studies by any means and You may have seen these already but here’s a couple from Bulk Reef Supply regarding flow.

I really like the one that shows the flow patterns of certain powerheads (2nd video).

I hope this helps!

These aren’t scientific studies by any means and You may have seen these already but here’s a couple from Bulk Reef Supply regarding flow.

I really like the one that shows the flow patterns of certain powerheads (2nd video).

I hope this helps!
Thanks for the video links, I have not seem these specific videos yet.

Cheers!

WOW! Good luck and post photos.
Thanks, I will be happy to post up as the build continues. I’m continuing my search for advanced tests, or computer modelling for flow studies on large aquariums… There is scant info available that I’ve been able to suss out thus far.

I could (and probably will), do several detailed tests on my tank during leak testing… This will include the installed rock work and the sand bed in place, so the results will be accurate. It may use a lot of water however, as I don’t think I could do more than a couple with dyes before I would have to change the water.

To prevent this waste, I’m looking for dyes that will only be visible with ALS. If these are available, I should be able to complete the testing with one or two changes of the contents. The dyes would have to be fish safe of course, so that’s another challenge…

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have seen strips of small bubble wrap used for flow indicators.
Floating beads are a thing too as seen in the video.
Flake food will follow currents in a tank so there is that too.
Any local aquariums near you? I'm sure the person in charge would welcome you in for a discussion.

I think alot of what you accomplish is going to depend on what you want to look at. I recently setup a 750g tank (120x48x30). I have rock mounted all along the back wall, and then 3 island of rock down the center of the tank. So there is a back channel and front channel on the tank.

I started the tank with a Panta Rhei Hydrowizard ECM63. Not mounted Ideally it's on the back wall in the left bottom corner of the tank and blasts straight into the front glass. But the pump can circulate all the water in the tank and in Pulse mode gets all of the water in the tank sloshing back and forth.

I recently got an Abyzz AFC-150 flow cannon. I had it mounted on the right end of the tank blast all the way down the front before hitting a wall. It blows a wall of water that blasts the fish down the front of the tank, and still bends LPS and soft corals over mounted in the back right corner of the tank - 24' from the pump.

But I don't like the pump sticking out and visible at the front of the tank. I am testing it now on the right end of the tank, but down low at the back of the aquarium - Blowing down the back wall of the tank before going around to cruise down the front of the tank.

For me making the pumps as least visible as possible is key.

I got the rock for the Panta Rhei to try and hide it on the bottom of the tank - But the darn rock floats, and floats with the pump in it. I have some experiments with actual rock and mortar in my future to try and weigh it down. If Abyzz comes out with a rock to hide the pump it would be great. But the pump is so powerful you would have to wedge the rock into your rock work to stop it from blowing all over.

If you go to the Monster Tank Forums and find my build thread I recently posted a youtube video of the unboxing and setting up of the Abyzz Flow Cannon.

Dave B

Back