Anybody have a glass top for 210?

Rogger Castells

I am looking for a glass top for a 210 or 180 gal all glass aquarium, if you have one and want to sell or swap with corals please pm me.

Thank you

Rogger

LOL, I just want to try a theory I have regarding the UV radiation with my type of lighting. I think the glass should fix the problem, we will see.
I remember back in the days when MH just started to come out 4-5k bulbs, you will not dare to run your tank w/o a glass top, then that changed when the bulbs became less intense and better shielded, I am having problem with some of my corals and how intense the light is, so back to basics

rogger, i thought all SE bulbs are already shielded with the glass bulb?

and just DE setups need a uv shield?

i may be wrong though.

Hey Roger,

I woulde'nt see why intense lighting would negatively affect your corals? I have grows all types of corals right under 400W 10k ushios (which are very bright) with the bulb 3" from the water and corals right under the lights, 1" from the surface.

Ofcource it takes some acclimating to get the corals used to the higher light.

Single ended bulbs already have a shield, and double ended halides , you must use with a glass shield. I think you could do more harm to you're tank due to trapped heat with glass covering the whole tank.

Perhaps something ealse is bothering you're corals, have you looked for Red bugs or Acro eating flat worms? The later will really screw up the acros.

Just a thought.

Kindest Regards,
-Jc

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8111364#post8111364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bawla47
rogger, i thought all SE bulbs are already shielded with the glass bulb?

and just DE setups need a uv shield?

i may be wrong though.

Yes you are right, sigle ended are already shield plus because of the design they loose a little of usable light.
I have Double ended Geissmann's 14.5 k inside an ice cap reflector that looks similar to the t5's reflector, it is extremely bright.

I can hook you up Rogger. I haveone inthe garage now. You can contribute to refilling my tank if you like. Your choice.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8111463#post8111463 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Juan-Carlos
Hey Roger,

I woulde'nt see why intense lighting would negatively affect your corals? I have grows all types of corals right under 400W 10k ushios (which are very bright) with the bulb 3" from the water and corals right under the lights, 1" from the surface.

Ofcource it takes some acclimating to get the corals used to the higher light.

Single ended bulbs already have a shield, and double ended halides , you must use with a glass shield. I think you could do more harm to you're tank due to trapped heat with glass covering the whole tank.

Perhaps something ealse is bothering you're corals, have you looked for Red bugs or Acro eating flat worms? The later will really screw up the acros.

Just a thought.

Kindest Regards,
-Jc

Yeah, I agree, In my case however I don't think is the intensity alone that is affecting the corals, instead, it is the Uv radiation that is been concentrated by the parabolic reflectors. I have a feeling that the glass that comes with my ice Caps reflectors are not shielding sufficient Uv radiation.
I will show you the results when you come to my house, no matter how long you acclimate the specimens to the light 98% time they will develop burn marks on the top branches or tips.
One that happens the corals seldom heal those burns, but will grow normally every were else were the light is indirect.
I am not too concern with heat build up as my chiller should handle it with no problems, plus I am not covering the entire surface but merely ¾ allowing plenty space for gas exchange.
In regards of red bugs and AEFW, for the last 8 to 9 months I have been religiously dipping every single specimen coming into my tank with Interceptor and Levamisol independently, I recently started taking all my corals out one at a time and dipping them in Betadine and carefully examining them for eggs with an 8x magnifying glass, this was after I was told by a friend of mine that a single flatworm was found in a frag I had just gave him, I don’t currently have red bugs and have not found any evidence that AEFW are eating any of my corals, I don’t discard that they might be AEFW in my tank however they are not causing any damage probably due to the constant control and dipping.

Rogger

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8112917#post8112917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DC321
I can hook you up Rogger. I haveone inthe garage now. You can contribute to refilling my tank if you like. Your choice.
Thank you Dan, I just came from buying one from a local store, it was not that expensive plus they had it in stock. I will still like to go by your house and check out your tank. BTW, I finished last night to examine the pics you sent me and at least on this corals, there is no signs of this critters.

I just wanted to report that tank has actually dropped temperature from 79.9 to 79.2 from this afternoon when I put the glass cover on to right now. sounds weird but true

Back