anyone get this bulk head off ebay

Over time you will bump the piping or twist it a little bit to remove a nozzle or disturb it in other ways. With the schedule 80 you have a lot beefier body and flange so the chances of breakage or causing a leak are much less. This is especially true if the bulkheads are going to be in the bottom of the overflow or low on the back glass. Fittings up nearer the top edge are not quite as critical but remember once you install it you should never need to see it again so get a good one the first time..

so let me get this straight, the diff between sch 40 and a sch 80 bulkhead is ???? pressure rating. which tranlates to pipe thicknesss. Show me where a 40 bulkhead is thicker than an 80.

If the seal doesnt fit, it doesnt matter how thick it is. It is the quality of the oring, the seat of the oring, and the true of the piece to which it will seat upon, that is what wil determine the quality of yor seal

Schedule 40 or below bulkheads most usual hole sizes are:

For 1/2" the hole is 1-1/8"
For 3/4" the hole is 1-7/16"
For 1" the hole is 1-1-3/4"
For 1-1/2" the hole is 2-3/8"

Although most bulkheads fit this dimensions I have seen non standard ones that have different dimansions so the sure thing will be to wait until it is in your hands.

By the way the first one you selected was 1/2" the second one 3/4" are you sure of the diameter you need? Depending on the size of your system the most used sizes for small aquariums 55 gal or less are 3/4" for the return and 1" inch for the drain. For larger aquariums is 1" for returns adn 11/2 to 2" for the drain.
Check the flow calculators in the home page to determine the diameter you need for the intended flow if you need to.

that wasnt me that linked to the 1". i need 3/4" for the return. 1-7/16"??? thats the first time i have seen that dim. there are 2 dimesnsions i keep seeing for 3/4" 1-1/2" and 1-5/8". i think ill probally get one off marine depot. that way i get quality and know the exact size.

Sorry, The dimensions I provided above are based on the diameter of the external threaded part from the specifications of the bulkhead. The hole may be slightly bigger to facilitate installation and 1/16" can be added so for the 3/4" bulhead the dimension becomes 1-8/16" which is 1-1/2".

So how about if my hole (for draining from display to sump) size is 1.75" (in diameter) , what size should I buy for a bulkhead also please tell me what size of the hose should I buy? The reason I ask this question b/c I bought this tank (overflow ready at corner) from a local reefer but he don't remember what size of the bulkhead, so I just what to make sure b4 I buy these stuffs. Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6487487#post6487487 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rivdog
so let me get this straight, the diff between sch 40 and a sch 80 bulkhead is ???? pressure rating. which tranlates to pipe thicknesss. Show me where a 40 bulkhead is thicker than an 80.

Dude, the ID of the bh pipe thread (or slip) is the same. The thickness of the PVC around that spec is the difference. Get the 80, you can depend on the seal because you can really crank it if you want; it will not leak or ever have a problem. I have stripped sch 40 threads during installation more than once.

Don't skimp on any part restraining water, by the time you figure out what failed your hating life.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6490729#post6490729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gizzly
So how about if my hole (for draining from display to sump) size is 1.75" (in diameter) , what size should I buy for a bulkhead also please tell me what size of the hose should I buy? The reason I ask this question b/c I bought this tank (overflow ready at corner) from a local reefer but he don't remember what size of the bulkhead, so I just what to make sure b4 I buy these stuffs. Thanks!
That will be for a 1" bulkhead sch 40.
If you will use a hose with an internally threaded bulkhead you need a 1"NPT x 1" hose insert adapter and a 1" hose.

The diameter of the 1" schedule 40 is 1-5/8" for a hole of 1-3/4"
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/6885/cid/1895
bkf10.jpg

If you want to use the Schedule 80 stronger one the diameter is 1-7/8" which requires a hole of 2" Dia.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/6862/cid/1869
ACF20C1.jpg

ive ordered at least a dozen of these from this guy and no problems at all. 1/2, 3/4, 1" when i need more ill get them from him again unless i find them cheaperwhich i havent done yet

just got it and it is CHEAP. it already jumped threads, but not bad enuf to strip any. i think it is usable, if i am careful when threading the nut on.

i asked the ebay seller 3 diff. times about the O.D. and he never returned one of them..........

1 5/8" btw

don't use them, they WILL leak on you. It did on mine when I water tested my tank. I ended up buying new ones.

I ordered a half a dozen 1" bulkheads a few months ago from the first eBay dealer linked. No leaks or thread jumping, they appear identical to one I paid $10 for at the LFS. Maybe he just gets bad batches in occasionally?

Dan

this one feels like hard brittle plastic. the 1 1/2" one i got from marine depot a while abck felt softer and sturdier.

Back