Anyone know what is happening in this pic?

tmulrney

The coralline on the rock is....receding? It used to cover the rock. What the heck? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337201431.297081.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1337201448.655671.jpg

Could have something feeding off the algae and casuing it to recede??? I think those little 4 arm starfish eat coraline?

Could have something feeding off the algae and casuing it to recede??? I think those little 4 arm starfish eat coraline?

I don't thinks so because it is happening so uniformly. That light pink line the separates the algae from the bare rock is traveling down the rock.

I've had tons of those stars and they leave little spots where they sit and eat the algae, not a mass area like that. I've also had urchins chow through coraline, but again never all in one area like that. I had a emarld that loved to scrape the rocks and would take from one specific area, but you could really make out that it was more scratched than so uniformly removed.

Calcium normally is 450-460 but went down to 327. It's corrected now. Weird thing is, the erosion is happening only on that one rock. The rest of the rocks are covered in coralline.

I know this is an old post, but I found my largest emerald crab breaking the coralline off my coral/rocks, and was shoving it in his mouth. He was either hungry or deficient in something I'll wager. Thought I would share what I saw.

Back