Anyone use a laser to kill aiptasia?

A couple tips on Berghia - they are hermaphrodites, so you don't need a herd right away. You will however need a herd to eliminate a large infestation, but it takes a couple generations to see an impact. Don't expect overnight elimination. I find that it is best to order about 3 and leave them in the shipping container for a couple days so that they can lay eggs. That way if you have a predator (wrasses, p'mints), it won't pick off your whole delivery right away. Eggs are laid in a spiral on substrate and are quite easy to see in the container. Once you have the next generation ready to hatch, let the adults go and put the container in the tank, open top so the babies can find food quickly after hatching. They are generally nocturnal, so don't expect to get to watch them work - just take note of how many aiptasia you start with and watch them slowly vanish. I have successfully cleared tanks with just egg masses being introduced.

A couple tips on Berghia - they are hermaphrodites, so you don't need a herd right away. You will however need a herd to eliminate a large infestation, but it takes a couple generations to see an impact. Don't expect overnight elimination. I find that it is best to order about 3 and leave them in the shipping container for a couple days so that they can lay eggs. That way if you have a predator (wrasses, p'mints), it won't pick off your whole delivery right away. Eggs are laid in a spiral on substrate and are quite easy to see in the container. Once you have the next generation ready to hatch, let the adults go and put the container in the tank, open top so the babies can find food quickly after hatching. They are generally nocturnal, so don't expect to get to watch them work - just take note of how many aiptasia you start with and watch them slowly vanish. I have successfully cleared tanks with just egg masses being introduced.

I got 8 and have a pretty large infestation in a 90. I have a couple clowns, a yellow tail damsel, banggai cardinal, and lyretail anthias. Are any of those likely predators? I'm supposed to get an egg whorl or too also, whenever it gets delivered this morning.

My order came - these guys are pretty cool
09366e360e7e711a23395762abe45c39.jpg

I got 8 and have a pretty large infestation in a 90. I have a couple clowns, a yellow tail damsel, banggai cardinal, and lyretail anthias. Are any of those likely predators? I'm supposed to get an egg whorl or too also, whenever it gets delivered this morning.

I don't think any of those will be a problem. I like to leave them in the container until they lay eggs though to ensure a second generation. You can move them with a turkey baster or swirl the container until they let go.

Back